Coolant flush? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant flush?

I am in the process of doing an egr delete for precaution measure only. Also installing coolant filtration while im at it. Removing gold coolant and replacing with elc. i have experienced no problems to say. i have noticed that everyone is saying that you should not had more that 15 degrees between eot and ect. If i delete the egr cooler, do i still need to monitor those, if so is the degree of difference the same without egr cooler. Also when doing a coolant flush, do you necessary need to replace oil cooler, no problems to note, just thinking i am going to be that far in. Does a cooloant flush possibly help clean the oil cooler or possibly make it worse or maybe finish it off. Can oil cooler be cleaned when taken off the truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good questions. About the oil cooler, and monitoring EOT and ECT temps...if you still have a oil cooler that can plug up (which you will, and it still can later from possible debris) you need to continue to monitor both.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 AM

You don't technically have to replace the oil cooler along with the flush but from doing the flush you run the risk of clogging your cooler up with all of the contaminates broken free from the flush.

You will still have to monitor the ECT and EOT temps as the oil cooler will still be operating as normal even with an EGR delete installed. The ECT / EOT temp delta tests to see if the ECT side of the oil cooler is clogged and has nothing to do with the EGR delete. The EGR delete's design is to prevent the EGR cooler from rupturing which will cause coolant to enter your intake which will increase the pressure in your heads leading ultimately to head seperation and necessitating a head gasket replacement.

Red up the coolant flush info in my sig and also read up on doing an oil cooler reverse flush (which can be done with the oil cooler still installed on the truck) this will help to prevent the oil cooler from getting clogged up during your flush.

Also don't forget the block plugs during the flush! If you don't want to remove the starter to get to the passenger side at least pull the driver's side and make sure you flush through it as well as the through the radiator.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 AM

The ECT / EOT temp delta tests to see if the ECT side of the oil cooler is clogged and has nothing to do with the EGR delete. The EGR delete's design is to prevent the EGR cooler from rupturing which will cause coolant to enter your intake which will increase the pressure in your heads leading ultimately to head seperation and necessitating a head gasket replacement.

For those who are just learning about the 6.0 issues...and With all due respect, the Oil cooler being clogged up tends to be the primary cause of the EGR cooler destruction by overheating. Monitoring the Oil temp is the method to which determine if your EGR cooler is at risk.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
For those who are just learning about the 6.0 issues...and With all due respect, the Oil cooler being clogged up tends to be the primary cause of the EGR cooler destruction by overheating. Monitoring the Oil temp is the method to which determine if your EGR cooler is at risk.
While true at times you can just as easily have an EGR failure with no oil cooler failure. It primarily has to do with the design of the OEM EGR cooler which uses a radiator style cooling passages. What can happen as well is under high boost conditions, or just over time in general, these coolant passages can clog up themselves by the coolant or the vanes can rupture under high pressure and heat instances. That's also one of the reasons you want to keep a tab on your EGT's as with a stock EGR cooler your exhaust gases entering the EGR cooler can cause metal fatigue and potential coolant flash boiling if your EGTs get too hot.

This is the stock design:

(lost the other half of the image watermark when I copied the URL over, image is from BPD)

Now at any time any of those passages themselves can become clogged from the Ford Gold silicates or they can fail and rupture just as the oil cooler can.

The can and sometimes do fail hand in hand but one is not directly related to the other.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Thats a funny thing...I have never heard of the oil coolers rupturing, but only plugging up, of course then to cause much higher oil temps, and also, to then starve the EGT cooler of important coolant flow, causing the EGT cooler to burst/crack.

Maybe someone will chime in and change my mind about Oil cooler ruptures
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Most of the time when there is oil in the coolant it is because the oil cooler ruptured on the oil side. It isn't as common as the cooler plugging up but it happens and when it does you need to remove all the oil from the cooling system.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Thanks to all for the valuable info. i will attempt to check flow of the old cooler and possible flush it. If not, guess its a new oil cooler, thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.