oil filter doesn't snap into cap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil filter doesn't snap into cap [solved]

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, perhaps my googl-fu is weak. And of course I'm n00

I was able to find this thread
Job 1 Oil Change Help

in a different part of the forum, I think it's the same filter... but I wanted to find people who knew my engine to discuss this with.

I bought this truck used just a couple weeks ago, my first diesel. As a routine part of buying used, I always start from zero with all new fluids and filters. So, I took the last week going to various places to gather the Rotella T 15w40 (my Wally World had 5gal, 2.5gal, gal, and qt sizes... guess there's a lot of demand around here), FL-2016, FD-4616 and FA-1778.

When I removed the cap for the oil filter, the filter was still sitting in the receptacle, not attached to the cap. There was a 3/4 circle of plastic on top of the filter. Like a broken gasket, maybe.

The new filter does not snap into the cap. There doesn't appear to be any 'lip' for the filter 'tabs' to fit behind, I can't see any place a 'snap' could take place.

Unfortunately I threw away the old filter and the plastic piece, so I can't take photos. I've already put everything back together and drove it to work this morning, but this has been bugging me and I want to ask the experts before I put too many miles on it, just in case I'm not getting filtered oil or some other nightmare.

Looks like $30 or so for a new cap, or a lot less from dieselfiltersonline.com. I'm almost certainly going to order the cap anyway, I just don't know how urgent it needs to be.

Suggestions?

2005 F-250 SuperCab Long Bed 6.0L no known mods
getting 17-18mpg on the first three tanks so far, mixed driving. I like being able to use the grocery store discounts again, had been using ethanol-free in the Ram I traded in, harder to find.
I researched a lot before narrowing my choices to Rotella T and Rotella T6. The truck won't see much hard work, it's mostly for getting the 12 miles to work and back in traffic, with 20+ mile trips to branches a time or three each week. Rarely anything a car couldn't handle in the back; towing anything less than once a year average.
[so why did you buy a diesel?] just wanted it. With this mileage, the larger tank and discounted fuel, its' much better than my old gasser.

Last edited by Idahoser; 07-11-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 07:56 PM

well, I guess nobody else has seen it, but I got the new cap today and swapped out my mystery cap. I just wasn't looking hard enough before, it's a good cap with a broken top from an aftermarket filter stuck in the top. Removed that and all is well, I'll keep the old cap for a spare.

FYI I got my first filter from Wally World, the tag on the shelf said FL-2016W but there was no W on the boxes. To see what difference there was I ordered a W along with the cap, and I got exactly what's on the shelf here with no W.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I have seen that before, but I didn't see your thread till now. Plus remember a pic is worth a thousand words when your trying to describe odd problems like this one.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 PM

yeah, sorry about that, it bothered me more as I thought about it but by then the parts were gone.

Now I know. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not gonna lie when these engines first came out i did that lol. I still have the extra cap i bought!! LMAO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.