6.0 cooling system flush - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 05:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 cooling system flush

Got 95,000 miles on my 06', im ready to flush the cooling system. Been reading a few things on here about the methods other people are using beside the old garden hose. If anyone could give me the .. start to finish suggestions including cleaners used, and how much distilled water.. ect. and any other coolants i can use besides Fords Gold stuff.

Thanks brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 05:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are threads here on how to do it..........HOWEVER, which ever way you choose, be prepared to replace your oil and EGR coolers. For the 6.0, it is a way of life.............
Old 06-12-2011, 05:35 AM

I do plan on replacing the EGR with a delete kit, was going to wait for the oil cooler to fail before replacing it. maybe.... we'll see.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Generally, the flush will stir up the casting sand in the block and plug the cooler, so, I would advise doing the flush when you have the means to replace the coolers. I just had mine done after a flush, as others have. Dealer told me this is a common problem after a flush.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

Paging Mitch... Paging Dr Mitch on line 2. Oh hell, I'll do it. This is just in case you didn't find these already. If you still have questions, let us know.

Here's my write-up with a few notes...
Just changed coolant to ELC... a few notes for everyone

Here's Mitch's (PGreenSVT)
Flushing and Cleaning the 6.0
Old 06-12-2011, 05:58 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Do it right and make sure your are not pluged now. If its not, you should be fine. If it plugs, you are going to have a problem if you flush or not.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the replies, how would you tell if your currently clogged up besides actually leaking coolant EGR, and/or oil leaking into coolant.

Also when i turn my truck off, i Puke, or cough coolant back into the coolant degas container. nothing comes out of the tank, but you can hear it when you turn the truck off, is this normal.. and/or a sign of my EGR cooler being clogged with soot and having hot spots in it?

i will read the other coolant flush posts, thanks for the links

i am new to this truck, bought it second hand about 3 months ago. Had changed oil and fuel filters. Getting ready to change trans external filter and pan fluid. also doing coolant flush, checked the rears, transfer case fluids are good too. Already put a Fuel injector in the truck. wasn't too happy about that after buying the truck 3 months ago.

So which ELC should i use.. are they all the same. just to to the store and buy any ELC? guess it wouldn't matter after flushing the system. and this is not mixed 50/50 anymore. ?

Last edited by Brian82; 06-12-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi. Sorry guys. This is a wife trying to get her husband information on how to do this as well and I'm probably about to ask a stupid question. I see from a chain auto parts store that is in this area that there is a Restore Fuel Injection Cleaner product and a Restore Oil Treatment product? Are either one of these the Restore you are talking about to use to flush out the coolant? Keep in mind, I know nothing about motors.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

Brian... The best way to determine the condition of your oil cooler is to get a monitor such as the Scangauge II. I recently saw them on ebay for $125. There's flashier ones out there but as far as bang for your buck is concerned, the Scangauge II takes the cake. Withthis, you can monitor your ECT and EOT's. At 55mph on flat, even highway there should be <15 degrees difference between your ECT/EOT with the EOT always being a little higher. That is step #1. If it's greater than 15 degrees, you need a new oil cooler before anything else and you need it quick.

Gray... No. Restore is usually purchased either online (sometimes difficult to find) or at a tractor service shop. I found mine at a peterbuilt garage in el paso.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

Sorry brian... should've elaborated. if you're oil cooler is clogged, it will restrict coolant to or from your EGR. Once this happens, the EGR will burnout but it also decreases the flow which also superheats the coolant that's inside of it causing it boil over. It can also cause the heads to warp which will cause greater issues. When this happens, your headgaskets can go and this in turn will cause increased pressure in the coolant system leading to your coolant to puke out the degass bottle. Generally speaking, all this is generated from a bad oil cooler which is why it's important to be able to monitor the temps between your coolant (ECT) and your oil (EOT).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.