Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Why is my 6.0 running hot?

21K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  njmudrat 
#1 ·
Guys -

Need to pick some brains here. Myself and one of the other members of this site (he's been doing some work on the truck) are trying to figure out the temps I have been seeing on my Insight CTS. The delta is great - only 3 degrees the majority of the time. However, the ECT and EOT hit 217 and 220 the other day pulling a 26' bumper pull trailer. I pulled my 18.5 foot sea ray today and hit 210 and 212, ECT and EOT on flat roads, not pushing it hard at all.

I run between 193 and 195 EOT and 196 and 198 ECT without towing.

Here's what has been done:

Full Coolant Flush with Restore, Restore +, New ELC EC-1 Coolant
Remote Dieselsite Filter Setup
New Oil Cooler (we believe old cooler was blocked from remnants loosened up with the flush )
RCD EGR Delete

Any thoughts, ideas why I am getting these temps? Do you guys run this hot?

There is no tune on the truck at all.

Jon

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe a t-stat stuck half closed? I'm running 188-190 empty at 60.

#3 · (Edited)
Jon
your temps are fine, the t/stat starts to open at 192.2 and is fully open at 219.2 and your fan should come on around 212-214*. I have see temps of ECT 218* and EOT 228* pulling my 14k 5er up a 6% grade over 6 miles at 90*+ outside so you are OK.
2 stroker

#4 ·
I have my suspicions with the t-stat as well.

2stroker - I want to think these temps are OK, but I hear a bunch of guys running considerably lower temps.

That camper I pull isn't very heavy @ < than 5,000 lbs. 14K I understand, but 5K should not get this motor that hot.

#7 ·
OK you have to go out and get on the freeway set the cruise at 60mph on flat ground after about 2 min take your readings this will give you a true reading of your ECT EOT this is what you go by, pulling is not a true way to read temps it is just a guideline for higher temps.
2 stroker

#9 ·
Jon, I would suspect that your camper weighs more than that and would explain your towing temps. My suspicion is that is your dry weight before loading up your water, propane, clothes, accessories, etc. Loaded you are probably seeing about 6k lbs or more. My old 26ft lightweight travel trailer was about that same weight.

#11 ·
Hmmm... Well that's an interesting wrinkle. Mine runs about the same as yours when unloaded, although our ambient temps are a bit warmer than yours (usually).

#12 ·
Old thread I know but any answers to this. Mine runs consistently over 205-210 and that's on 80degree days. Sometime on the hot days of summer unloaded I will hit 220-230 on the highway...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.