radiator removal- how to? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 05:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
radiator removal- how to?

04 6.0 -

want to remove the radiator and clean real good before replacing my oil cooler.

I know I have drain coolant, pull lower hose, pull upper hose and degas hose. unbolt the shroud up top, pull back the wiring harness up top. Disconnect the two tranny lines.

Any tricks, on the tranny lines? do I need to remove the fan and shroud? Do I pull up and out? or do I pull down?

thanks guys,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 AM

think I figured out how to get out the radiator, someone had a awesome post on shroud removal with pics.

My only concern now is those two tranny cooler lines on the bottom of the radiator. I know I will have to use a flare wrench. just hope they come off easy. I will see if ford carries the tranny line removal tool also.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 AM

you can de thread them as is. After spending a few hours running around to all sorts of different auto shops someone told me you can dethread them they way they are. The tranny cooler sits suspended in the radiator and if it falls you just have to fish it out and could possibly create a headache putting back in. Mine didnt move though. good luck
Old 05-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
the tranny cooler lines are a special 1/2" quick disconnect. they require a special tool to remove

Amazon.com: OTC OTC6593 Ford Transmission Disconnect Set 2Pc: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC OTC6593 Ford Transmission Disconnect Set 2Pc: Automotive

if you look at the pic the larger of the two tools would be the correct one for torqshifts

assenmacher makes the same tool out of metal

Amazon.com: Assenmacher AH8023 Cooler Line Disconnect 1/2" Ford Newer SUV's and Cars: Automotive Amazon.com: Assenmacher AH8023 Cooler Line Disconnect 1/2" Ford Newer SUV's and Cars: Automotive

I've never tried to unscrew the fittings from the rad
Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM

I don't know when they switched, but the tranny lines on my 03 do not have the quick disconnect. To remove them on my 03 you have to unscrew them on the radiator. There is a "big" nut and the line screws into that. Be sure when you remove the line that you hold the "big" nut secure or you will twist your line. Mine came right out, with no issues what so ever and I used just a regular ole wrench.

If I recall correctly, to remove the shroud you need to disconnect the shroud and the fan. I bought the fan removal tool to remove the fan, can't imagine doing it without it. Remove the top bolts that hold the radiator and move it forward as much as possible. Once the fan is disconnected, the fan and shroud come out as one.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The coupler disconnect tools are only required on 2005 to 2007 model years. On 2003 and 2004 model years, only a wrench is needed to disconnect the transmission cooler lines. To remove the fan shroud, requires removal of the four upper rad support 8mm bolts, and then disconnecting all the pushpin style fasteners that secure the upper sight shield to gain access to and removal of the pushpin style retainers for the main battery positive cable cross over from the passenger side battery to the driver side. Once removed, simply tilt the rad forward. Disonnect the upper rad hose and the degas bottle hose from the top of the rad. Remove the two 8mm bolts that secure the shroud to the rad and lift straight upward for removal. The fan and stator remain untouched. Once the lower rad hose and transmission cooler lines are disconnected, the rad simply lifts out with lots of room to spare.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 AM

radiator in and out, shroud was super easy and the radiator pulled out no problem.

mines an 04' so I have the easy tranny lines.

P.S. - picked up a new radiator from tousley ford for 203.00 out the door
Old 05-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
On 2003 and 2004 model years, only a wrench is needed to disconnect the transmission cooler lines.
totally forgot about that
Old 05-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

Do you know if there might be an upgraded, more heavy duty version of the radiator available? Or to do that might a person have to go aftermarket? I suppose I can talk to the friendly folks at Tousley when I go back and pick up my Intl fuel pressure spring upgrade kit, but $200 for a new factory rad sounds like a VG deal. I always like to oversize/overbuild when applicable if I am doing the job anyways, but not sure about availability of any upgrades for this vehicle. I have an 05 Ex.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:04 AM

ALHA -

when I was at Tousley picking up my turbo shroud mark at the counter mentioned two guys came in today and both ordered oil coolers. He said the one guy had a EX. That had to be you. Small world isn't it.

I don't think there is an upgraded radiator. That thing is huge anywas.

If you want some pointers or help with anything let me know cause I just got done doing the oil cooler myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.