2005 F550 6.0 Where is my coolant going? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 F550 6.0 Where is my coolant going?

I have an 05 F550 with the 6.0. This is my work truck with a IMT utility body, crane, welder, etc so fully loaded it is close to 20000 pounds and it has 90000 miles on it. I have had all the normal issues with this thing, injectors replaced several times, three new turbos, two starters, one egr cooler, high pressure oil something or other, one heater core, many flex tubes, etc... However over the last 5 months the coolant in my truck is just disappearing. It is not leaking, its not going into the oil and I don't smell it in the exhaust. I am having to add about 2 gallons every 6 or 7 hundred miles. I have had it to 3 different dealers 5 times and everytime they say it is fixed I pick it up and in a couple of days I notice my fan coming on more than normal so I stop and check it and it is low again. I have always had fords and loved them up till now, this is by far the worst engine I have ever owned. I love the chassis but this engine is a big pile of Sh*t. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rednek01 Send a message via Yahoo to rednek01
sounds like you got a lemon. The 6.0 has its fair share of problems but the later builds (05 and up) had most of the problems ironed out and the problems were way less frequent. Maybe try with lemon laws or try for a new engine.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:49 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

cant swear to it , but i have seen the hose that goes from the egr cooler to the oil cooler seep which would cause coolant loss , but it all burns off before a drip can be seen , the hose if has been replaced should be a short hose about 2 and 1/2 inches long , look around there and see if you see any
white discoloration there, that may ot be your problem but may make since why it cant be found
Old 08-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does the lemon law apply to my truck since it was built by IMT in Iowa? The got the chassis from Ford then added the body, crane etc.. I am so sick of this truck, it cost's me $100 everytime I take it to the dealer for warranty work because of the diesel deductible. I bought this thing new to replace my 2000 F550 7.3. I paid $87000.00 for it and have been nothing but disappointed with it. Also I forgot to add in my first post that I had the coolant bottle replaced also.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:58 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if you read the lemon law it is very hard to do , there are alot of stipulations to it, very doubtful
Old 08-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rednek01 Send a message via Yahoo to rednek01
I have no clue thats why I mentioned to look into it. These are really great engines Some have their problems but nothing is perfect and duds do happen and it sounds like you got one and that really sucks. I hope that you are able to get things worked out for the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.