fuel mileage after EGR Delete? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel mileage after EGR Delete?

Hi Im a newbie but i have a question im hoping to get answered.I recently done an egr cooler delete on my 04 350 SRW 4x4 it always got a consistent 17.5 mpg but since i deleted the cooler it has dropped to 10-12 mpg. i was told it would in crease the mileage not kill it. at these fuel prices it took the fun out of driving my truck .This is my 1st diesel and really like it when i hook on to my horse trailer there is no comparison to a gas.Is this normal or is there something else i need to do to help get my mileage back any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by acleadingham View Post
Hi Im a newbie but i have a question im hoping to get answered.I recently done an egr cooler delete on my 04 350 SRW 4x4 it always got a consistent 17.5 mpg but since i deleted the cooler it has dropped to 10-12 mpg. i was told it would in crease the mileage not kill it. at these fuel prices it took the fun out of driving my truck .This is my 1st diesel and really like it when i hook on to my horse trailer there is no comparison to a gas.Is this normal or is there something else i need to do to help get my mileage back any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
OK what does the egr do? it is the introduction of inert gas into the combustion chamber, reason is to cool the combustion chamber to reduce N.O.X. inert gas takes up space in the combustion chamber.if you remove this inert gas you have to replace it with something==more air more fuel and more temp.lower m.p.g. if it makes you feel better my 03 experienced same thing. i hope this helps you.

Last edited by JUGERNAUT; 03-30-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your input it makes since what you said i never thought of that or looked at it that way.. i wished i'd knowed this b4 i payed out all the money to have it deleted i would have just had it replaced since it had to b tore down anyways...any suggestions tuner,exhaust. etc. that might help me regain some of it back just wondering dont want to get so deep in this thing that i regret buying a diesel....thanks for any info like i said this is my first so its a learning lesson..
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acleadingham View Post
Thanks for your input it makes since what you said i never thought of that or looked at it that way.. i wished i'd knowed this b4 i payed out all the money to have it deleted i would have just had it replaced since it had to b tore down anyways...any suggestions tuner,exhaust. etc. that might help me regain some of it back just wondering dont want to get so deep in this thing that i regret buying a diesel....thanks for any info like i said this is my first so its a learning lesson..
I THINK IN ALL THE YEARS IVE DONE THIS I CAN ONLY THINK OF 1 O3 I DID THE EGR COOLER ON CAUSE IT WAS LEAKING COOLANT IN EXHAUST.THEM ROUND COOLERS HARDLY EVER BUST. THE REASON THEY WENT TO SQUARE ONES WAS BECAUSE THE ROUND ONES ARE NOT AS EFFICIENT AT COOLING EGR GASSES.

AS FOR TUNERS AND STUFF ILL LEAVE THAT TO THE EXPERTS ON HERE I'M NOT KNOWLEDGEABLE AS SOME OF THESE FELLOWS ON HERE ABOUT THEM SORRY
Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the info do you think id b better off to put the cooler back on?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I'M PUTTING MINE BACK ON FOR TWO REASONS. HERE IN PA AND NJ THEY ARE RANDOMLY PULLING OVER DIESEL TRUCKS AND CHECKING THEM FOR EMISSIONS COMPLIANCE THE STATE POLICE THAT IS AND THEY HAVE ALL TOOLS THEY NEED TO CHECK TRUCKS. AND GUESS WHAT. IF THEY ARE NOT ON IT IS 10,000 DOLLAR FINE PER OFFENSE MEANING NO CAT WHAMMY, NO EGR WHAMMY, TUNE WHAMMY, THAT IS 30,000 RIGHT THERE AND THE STATE AND FEDS SPLIT IT.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGERNAUT View Post
I'M PUTTING MINE BACK ON FOR TWO REASONS. HERE IN PA AND NJ THEY ARE RANDOMLY PULLING OVER DIESEL TRUCKS AND CHECKING THEM FOR EMISSIONS COMPLIANCE THE STATE POLICE THAT IS AND THEY HAVE ALL TOOLS THEY NEED TO CHECK TRUCKS. AND GUESS WHAT. IF THEY ARE NOT ON IT IS 10,000 DOLLAR FINE PER OFFENSE MEANING NO CAT WHAMMY, NO EGR WHAMMY, TUNE WHAMMY, THAT IS 30,000 RIGHT THERE AND THE STATE AND FEDS SPLIT IT.
I can see a fine for no cat, or EGR delete, however how can they fine you for running a tuner? I'm just curious about this, not trying to argue with you.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftkr View Post
I can see a fine for no cat, or EGR delete, however how can they fine you for running a tuner? I'm just curious about this, not trying to argue with you.
SURE THE TUNER SAYS FOR OFF ROAD USE. CORRECT OR IS IT A TUNER TO GAIN MILEAGE IN THERE EYES IT DOESN'T MATTER THIS IS WHY. FORD MAKES A CALIBRATION FOR THE TRUCK AND THEN THE FEDS LOOK AT IT AND DETERMINE IF IT MEETS CARBS STANDARDS. YOU CHANGE THAT AND YOU HAVE MESSED WITH EMISSIONS. WHY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PROGRAM THEM UNLESS TSB PERTAINS TO PROBLEM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGERNAUT View Post
SURE THE TUNER SAYS FOR OFF ROAD USE. CORRECT OR IS IT A TUNER TO GAIN MILEAGE IN THERE EYES IT DOESN'T MATTER THIS IS WHY. FORD MAKES A CALIBRATION FOR THE TRUCK AND THEN THE FEDS LOOK AT IT AND DETERMINE IF IT MEETS CARBS STANDARDS. YOU CHANGE THAT AND YOU HAVE MESSED WITH EMISSIONS. WHY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PROGRAM THEM UNLESS TSB PERTAINS TO PROBLEM.
So do they just visually inspect for a tuner, or do they actually scan the vehicle with a program and see if it's been tuned? I see what your saying, this is just shocking....
Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is why I won't delete mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY DMV
Any diesel-powered vehicle with a MGW, as indicated on the vehicle registration certificate, of 8,501 or more can be required to pass a roadside emissions inspection. The NYS Police and the NYS Department of Transportation conduct these inspections. If the vehicle fails the inspection, the driver can receive a summons and a fine of $700 for a first offense and $1300 for a second or subsequent offense. The driver can reduce the fine if the vehicle is repaired and passes a re-inspection at a DMV-licensed facility within 30 days of the violation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.