blew off turbo hose? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 08:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
blew off turbo hose?

I was on my way to a big mudhole yesterday with our 4-wheelers and my truck blew one of the pipes of the turbo, Its the one that runs to the turbo from the left side and attaches right to the front off the turbo, I had a 7/16 wrench on me so I put the boot back on and 15 miles down the road it blew off agian!! I put its back on and its ran for about 70 miles now.

What causes this? Could the clamps just have wore out (it looks rough)?

Or do i have some other gremlin in this thing, like EGR sticking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The best thing you can do is clean it up really good let it dry. Then soak it with some hairspray put it on and retighten it
Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the same thing happened on my brother's dmax. I felt the tube and when it blew off it hit something hard enough to flatten a very small part of the flange... we bent it out a little to get a more uniform circular flange, cleaned it off as best we could, and tightened the crap out of it. So far it has not happened again. Clean it well and look to see if there are any dents in the flange... hope that helps
Old 07-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
happens a lot because the boots soak in all the oil.... clean it good with some degreaser and put it on but eventually will have to be replaced because you wont be able to get all the oil off since it soaks in.....
Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Once the boots blow off toss them in the garbage . They usually wont hold anymore. I have tried to clean them off and it just wont last.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

throw that one away if it looks rough , go to ford and by the updated one ,it has orange liner on the inside , not a bad idea to replace clamps also, there is a chance that the turbo can cause these tubes to blow off , ive seen a sticking turbo cause overboost and blow tubes off , if it seems to be running ok then , just go ahead and replace the boot , and give that a try first
Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudracer80 View Post
I was on my way to a big mudhole yesterday with our 4-wheelers and my truck blew one of the pipes of the turbo, Its the one that runs to the turbo from the left side and attaches right to the front off the turbo, I had a 7/16 wrench on me so I put the boot back on and 15 miles down the road it blew off agian!! I put its back on and its ran for about 70 miles now.

What causes this? Could the clamps just have wore out (it looks rough)?

Or do i have some other gremlin in this thing, like EGR sticking?
I fixed it by installing a new hose, cleaned the turbo and connecting pipe with lacquer thinner, put NAPA High Tack gasket sealant(red) on pipe and inside hose and clamped it with a "Breeze Constant Torque" clamp (has 5 washers on it). These clamps are available at your local NAPA store. So far so good! This remedy came from my Cummins diesel(boat) mechanic. Have them on both Cummins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.