Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

03 vibration at idle when in cab help please!!

10K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  saleen9973 
#1 ·
hey guys, got an 03 6.0, ran fine for the longest time. one day i had my foot in it a little to much and the exhaust cam apart where down pipe meets exhaust that leads to back of cab. got gome and re conected it all started it up and when sitting in the cab there is a vibration at idle but when get into rpms it smooths out. truck drives out fine but when come to a stop light and in drive the vibration is a little more severe. i have checked all the exhaust pipes and none of them are rubbing on cab anywhere so im at a stand still and not sure what to look for now. could it be an injector sticking? and just a coincidence that it started when exhuast came apart. any help would really bu appreciated guys. Thanks!!

#2 ·
I am having a vibration the same as yours, but mine has been after the cab came off for a head gasket replacement. The Ford dealer is saying it is normal but I know it is not, and it drives me nuts. You can hear it and feel it, an dit only happens at idle, when the rpm in increased it disappears.

Were you able to fix yours?

#3 ·
sadly to say no i have not came up with an answer yet, been drivin it but still vibrates at idle. any insight or help would be greatly appreciated

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply, I will know tomorrow if FICM replacement fixed it or what else they tried or if they have fixed the issue. I will try to update here as soon as I can.
But I think it really is something with the way they put the cab back on the frame or a cable or bolt is not tight allowing for the vibration to enter the cab (resonating) or possibly a mount, engine or tranny. I seen someone in another forum have the same issue as us and it was his transmission mount that went. I guess it could be injectors too, but that would show in the diagnosis with some error codes I would think.

Mine is an 06, so far it has needed head gaskets, Auto Temp Control Module, FICM, some sort of oil hose (was leaking). It's only got 55,000 miles on it, had all scheduled maintenance, etc. I can't afford to trade it in or it would be gone. To think I gave up a Lincoln Mark LT Elite, for this truck is someting I will never forgive myself for :).

Anyways will let you know if and what I find.

#6 ·
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you don't happen to have an aftermarket exhaust do you? The reason I ask is because I know a lot of members' trucks have aftermarket downpipes and exhaust systems that are larger in diameter than the factory exhaust. From my experience, most aftermarket downpipes are a two-piece set-up between the turbo and cat. How the u-clamp is oriented, clamping the two pieces together can play a part in this, due to it's very close proximity to the firewall and transmisson bellhousing and dipstick tube. While it may appear that the pipe and clamp clears all the components at rest, the drivetrain does shift slightly under varying conditions such as accelerating under load, and/or idling while in DRIVE, conditions under which you may not see, since you are in the driver's seat at the time. That slight movement can mean all the difference between not contacting any part of the body, and actually grounding out on the body if it even contacts the frame or body even the slightest. Just my two cents.

#8 ·
Check to see that the pipe has about a quarter inch clearence where it goes over the trans crossmember.

#10 ·
hey you werent hijackin this thread! any and all info is helping me out to fix mine. as it usually just sits in the drive way and i take the super ten. but i do have a mbrp exhaust system straight pipe turbo back so i will check that. thanks for help guys and any further advice you may have!

#11 ·
Okay thanks! I hope the exhaust fixes yours, my dealer says they have check that, the engine mounts, the turbo, cab mounts.... The Foreman says he can feel it and hear it but thought it was normal. I search both dealerships for a 6.0 to idle up to compare it to, but the only ones they both have in are torn apart LOL! how ironic ha ha.

Anyway for now I will have to wait and see when they get some trucks in for service etc. (which shouldn't be long with the 6.0) Then they will call and we will compare.

Problem is, it depends on whats been done the other truck and if it has a clean Oasis report, so I duno.

Still dealing with it.. Will update here if and when I get this solved.

#12 ·
Hey Guys
I'm having the same problem.
There was no vibration after I did my head gaskets and replaced my cracked head. About 10,000 miles later I noticed a vibration at idle. If i put my hand on the exhaust pipe at the rear of the truck you can really feel it. It goes away with throttle, but in stop and go traffic it is horrible. I don't think it has anything to do with rubbing, but has something to do with the engine itself. If you feel the oil pan or any main engine component while running you can feel it. It's a really fast vibration. I know the engine mounts should remove vibration, but it seems like it is just too much vibration. Maybe injection pump? I also noticed that the intensity of the vibration isn't always the same. I think it's worse when engine is warm but I will have to check that. I also don't think it's realted to the 1700rpm moan/drone recall. I want to take it in for a diagnostic, but am afraid I will just be throwing money down the toilet. I still have a feeling it has something to do with injection strategies, but I don't know why it showed up out of the blue.......

#13 ·
I have a 05 6.0l it was doing the same as you guys are saying,my problem was at the turbo mounts there is 3 bolts that hold it down.The one bolt on the drivers side was gone.So went to the ford dealer and pick up new bolt.Put it all back with alittle bit of lock tight and no more vibration.
PS it is a pain in the butt to get that bolt back in on the drivers side.

#15 ·
I also have a 03 and i have the same vibration when i come to a stop light. I almost feels like the a driveshaft rubbing. But i know that is not true because i am stopped with it in gear. I do have a aftermarket exhaust i will check to see if mine rubs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.