Could glogged Turbo add to MPG loss? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could glogged Turbo add to MPG loss?

Been noticing my mpg goen down lately. Distance in between fill ups is less and my onboard MPG rating is going down. Have been having intermintant turbo issues with turbo cutting out after high rmps, probably plugged veins or something, but could this issue be contributing to my MPG decrease? Any help please as i think im getting a bit under 14mpg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

from what i have read on here and other places , a turbo that is going or is real dirty can kill your mpg . i just experienced the same thing at the beginning of winter and wasnt real sure what was going on . i was usually getting 800 km out of a tank and then all of a sudden it went down to like 500 km . within a coulpe weeks my turbo blew , so i threw in a new one and my mpg's are better than ever . are you having any other symptoms besides bad mpg ?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodger View Post
within a coulpe weeks my turbo blew , so i threw in a new one and my mpg's are better than ever . are you having any other symptoms besides bad mpg ?
Only when I get the rpms up there like tryen to get in front of someone on an onramp I lose boost for maybe 30secs and then it comes back.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Getting on highway today, pegged at around 2800rpm for about 4seconds and once I settled down boost cut out for a solid 2mins this time and engine light came on for almost whole trip but went off before I could check it
Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

check it anyways just cause the light is out doesnt mean that it didnt store the trouble codes anyways. When my unison ring got fouled up and siezed to the vanes it started having issues producing boost at times and my mileage did fall a lot so I would definatly look towards the turbo as a culprit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.