2006 Powerstroke rough idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 Powerstroke rough idle

Hey guys recently my truck started idling different rougher is all i can describe it as. inside it feels like theres a vibrating massage thing in the seat haha and things rattle and it never did this before. Also it seems like sometimes it cranks a litle longer before starting but i might just be being paranoid. It doesnt matter if its warm or cold it idles the same and doenst sound any different when your outside the truck. It doesnt smoke and it still drives fine and doesnt seem to be down on power. its very wierd and i guess il have to get it scanned eventually anybody know what that would cost? (just the scan at ford)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

For a scan at Ford your probably looking at around a 100 dollar diagnostic fee. You could go down to advance or napa or somewhere most of those places are willing to scan for codes for free. However you may have an issue that is not related at all to a code. For one couple months ago I was having a rough idle and some slower starts on my truck and it ended up being the fuel rails were leaking at the plugs in the rear. Since it was leaking the revs would move slightly so that it would still deliver the same amount of power, thus it vibrated some. The vibration and rpm surging were not always noticeable and some days were better than others. So just an idea there sorry for the long post.

Mike
Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no prob man haha that almost sounds exactly what happenning no change at all in the truck except for a vibrating idle. any way i can check this myself (visual)? or how did you fix it?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 AM

did you ever have any luck on finding the issue with vibration at idle. mine is a 03 and doing the same thing as you explain and i cant seem to pin point the issue. it just randomly started the rough idle one day. very agrivated with it
Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

nope its still doin it might take it to ford this weekend. it is very strange there seems to be nothing else wrong at all
Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine has a rough idle sometimes too??? Like it'll just start and stop at random times? Drives fine etc...
Old 01-26-2011, 12:41 PM

let me know what ford tells ya if you would, im curious. i had my ford mech look at it and he has no idea what it could be he dont seem to think its an injector. you still been driving yours with the vibration? and when you come to a stop light and are in drive does it seem to do it worse than what it does in park?
thanks
Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yup thats exactly what it does. I dont have money to throw at it so im probly just gonna sell it and buy something that i dont have to worry about all the time im not sure yet
Old 01-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check the dummy plugs at the end of the fuel rails its what Ford changed on mine that fixed the issues. I couldnt really tell you what exactly led them to that being the issues as I am still under warranty and they dont communicate to well. I would assume though if they were bad they might be leaking a little bit of fuel out of them, which is why the engine is revving to provide the same amount of fuel to the injectors at all times.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:48 AM

what do you mean by dummy plugs on fuel rails? how would i get to them to check? and mine dont so much rev up and down it just vibrates when at idle and in drive and stopped. dont make much since to me but drives out fine. all help is appreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.