Coolant dripping from crank pulley - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant dripping from crank pulley

Hey guys, thanks for any help and advice you give,
my buddy has an 06 6.0L 250. he says the had gaskets got replaced last year, and his truck has an egr delete.

hes losing coolant, its dripping even when the truck is off, its dripping off the bottom of the big crankpulley.

anyone seen this before? is the water pump located above te crankpulley, i cant see much at all in those engines a crammed it seems. thanks yall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have the same problem, i noticed it a week or so ago, starting with coolant loss, but the past couple of days i've been running hot after about 40 mins of highway driving. had to limp it home yesterday from angleton, tx to my house in houston, about 40 or 50 miles. by the time i got home, my degas bottle was puking a little bit, nothing near as bad as when my oil cooler went bad last month. i'm guessing its the waterpump, the pulley itself spins off center compared to all the others. the truck has 131k, arp studs, new oil cooler, radiator, egr delete, afe stage 2, hypertech maxenergy, all done about a month ago. i also have oil spread around the front of the engine like it spat from somewhere, not sure where though. not AS worried about the oil, but i need to address it too. the coolant issue is more pressing because its keeping me from working. any news on what happened with your buddy's truck?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ive noticed a drip on my 04 ex.How tuff is the waterpump to replace?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like the water pump to me as well. I have heard it isn't too difficult, just pull the fan, fan shroud and it's right there, although I haven't personally done it.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
getting the fan clutch removed from the waterpump is always fun for do-it-yourselfers. it's left hand thread btw (lefty tighty)

i prefer a pneumatic fan clutch removal tool. never had to use anything else

fan clutch is 47mm or 1 7/8" will work also. actually OTC makes a water pump hub holding tool for the 6.0 but like i mentioned before, never had to use it

Ford 6.0L Diesel Fan Clutch Wrench | OTC Tool Manufacturer for Cars and Trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.