Hard start 2007 90,100 miles fresh oil change. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Hard start 2007 90,100 miles fresh oil change.

Howdy, have had my truck for 7 months and for two days it's been a chore to start. It's a hard crank, bogging the batteries down then a very very hard lope until warm. A few times the odometer doesn't work and the rpm gauge doesn't work. After warm I can shut it off and crank it it's fine, everything works and cranks right up. I dunno, just cold natured? Something a float charger and block warmer would fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like wat mine is, injector stiction. i just put in a oil additive yesterday called Hot Shot's Secret thats supposed to make it run like new again. it says give it about 1000 miles to take full affect so ill keep u updated on if it helps my start ups. here is a link if u wanna check it out Hot Shot's Secret

Last edited by bft blue oval boys; 12-18-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 PM

probably got a ficm goin bad like everybody else in the cold notices, check for codes and see what you get, p0611 or codes for all 8 injectors low circuits you need a ficm, as far as you're gauges not working sometimes, most likely a bad cluster, obviously you could have a circuit issue somewhere in the wiring but 99% of the time, you'll find these two components being the cause of you're problems
Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 PM

Would any of that Be covered under warranty? Is it something a novice can replace?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:07 PM

being an 07 they should be under warranty,call you're dealer and ask.As far as changing these, it's not hard but when replacing the cluster you have to perform a programmable module install procedure, as well as with the ficm, ford does sell just the ficm half shell which contains the dc to dc converter which is what is in question, if only replacing that you do not have to program the ficm. Properly diagnose the problem first though, hucking parts at an issue gets expensive really quick. You may have just an injector (or two) going bad.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:21 AM

I thought about that too.it doesn't throw any codes out when I scan it so Im kinda lost. I plugged it in last night and we will see here in a few minutes how sh does. We had four of these at the contracting firm I was with a few years back and never had to plug them in but heck I may have a cold natured woman on my hands lol.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 AM

Well she cranked right up this morning. Of course it was only 47 out so hard to tell if it had a differance or not. Hmmmm
Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 AM

Any other thoughts? I use 15w 40 rotella t. Could that be a factor in the colder weather?
Old 12-20-2010, 06:17 PM

47 degrees, should be starting right up, 15-40 is fine for that weather, if both batteries are good and it sounds like its spinning over pretty well, you may want to pull the cap off you're secondary fuel filter and make sure it's full of fuel, you state it bogs the batteries down, is that after extended cranking or just hard to turn over period? If its hard to start from the beginning try checking the amp draw on you're starter also check the ground at the block, there is a 15mm nut holding the tranny cooler lines bracket and behind that is you're ground cable, grab it by hand and try to wiggle it, pretty rare to see this issue but if the engine has been out before sometimes that ground does'nt get tight enough, also if the engine has been replaced that area is painted which if not ground down will create a poor contact for grounding. Good luck
Old 12-20-2010, 06:26 PM

Yeah the batteries act dead when it happens. But it's been much colder before and this hasn't happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.