6.0L Question/Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
6.0L Question/Problem

So, back in October I posted about having a oil leak. Few weeks after I got laid off and the truck has been parked. I have started a new job where I am much more happy. Been doing some thinking and Im gonna turn my Superduty back into my daily driver. So, the winter plans I had for it kinda changed with loosing my job, but Im still going to do EGR Delete, coolant filter kit, and new oil cooler. I still have yet to find the oil leak that I have been having. So, I snapped some pictures and Im hoping you guys can set me in the right direction. take a look.

Oil seems to be coming from above the trans somewhere, but I can not seem to find it from the top of the motor.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
By the looks of those pics, it's the drivers side rear of motor. Your sig says you have an '04, the early '04's have the ICP sensor behind the turbo that are known to leak. May also be the turbo drain tube.

Last edited by Lilpooh; 12-16-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:04 AM

Thanks... Good info... Morning bump..
Old 12-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I dont know where the bed plate is or what it is really but know its a common leak on our trucks.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Could it be the IRP leaking?

Last edited by BIGGPIGG4x4; 12-16-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:44 AM

BUMP TTT Need some more opinions..
Old 12-18-2010, 04:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Subscribing, I have what looks to be the same damn leak
Old 12-18-2010, 05:03 AM
Premium Member

It could be numerous things and a lot of times, a combination of. There's a weep hole at the back side of the valley that allows water/oil to drain out of the area. The HPOP, oil cooler, even the turbo itself, can all have a problem which will leak into the valley and eventually out of the weep hole. I took mine in while it was still under warranty for an oil leaking problem and they ended up rebuilding the turbo and replacing the oil cooler.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 AM
Lt. Negativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I dont know where the bed plate is or what it is really but know its a common leak on our trucks.
HUH All the years Ive never seen this either. Rear main is common but bed plate no. I have yet to see a truck come in for bed plate work. Rear mains yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskforcefreddy View Post
It could be numerous things and a lot of times, a combination of. There's a weep hole at the back side of the valley that allows water/oil to drain out of the area. The HPOP, oil cooler, even the turbo itself, can all have a problem which will leak into the valley and eventually out of the weep hole. I took mine in while it was still under warranty for an oil leaking problem and they ended up rebuilding the turbo and replacing the oil cooler.
weep hole ??? The HPOP is sealed within the motor so the only thing that could leak would be the seal, oil cooler is rarely unless improperly installed but he would notice that right off the bat. Turbo yes the drain tube. If the dealer is telling you a weep hole dont believe everything they say.

Where would that weep hole be at ?

Anyways As for your leak, like stated above start with your ICP or Turbo Drain. Pull the Turbo off and you'll be able to see your ICP by the heat shield, actually tell me if you see a sensor on your Passenger side valve cover, by the glow plug relay actually under it. But really only 2 locations that would cause that leak.

Last edited by RescueF250; 12-18-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
HUH All the years Ive never seen this either. Rear main is common but bed plate no. I have yet to see a truck come in for bed plate work. Rear mains yes.

weep hole ??? The HPOP is sealed within the motor so the only thing that could leak would be the seal, oil cooler is rarely unless improperly installed but he would notice that right off the bat. Turbo yes the drain tube. If the dealer is telling you a weep hole dont believe everything they say.
Where would that weep hole be at ?
Anyways As for your leak, like stated above start with your ICP or Turbo Drain. Pull the Turbo off and you'll be able to see your ICP by the heat shield, actually tell me if you see a sensor on your Passenger side valve cover, by the glow plug relay actually under it. But really only 2 locations that would cause that leak.
Ok. So, got the turbo pulled today. Starting to lean towards the oil drain tube leaking cause it kinda fell out of the HPOP as soon as I lifted turbo. I def. want to check this sensor too tho, I dont want to put this all back together and still have the problems. Hard to tell where the leak is coming from with the use of penetrating oil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.