SOMEONE NEEDS TO KNOW THIS ANSWER - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SOMEONE NEEDS TO KNOW THIS ANSWER

Hi guys i have done reaserch after research on this now. If i had a blown head gasket wouldn't i have a lot of pressure on my rad cap when i open it. Right now i can let my truck run for 2 hrs and open my cap even with out hearing any air come out of it. I have no coolant in my oil or no oil in my anti-freeze. Yes i get a little anti freeze coming out of my cap but theres no pressure there at all. I have heat at an idle and also when i take of easy but when i step on it a bit is comes out. My temp will flucuate between 176 to 194 but when its a 194 after i step on it it blows cold. What does this sound like to you water pump????Is there a way to test the water pump???????? please any answers will help. I know everyone is saying head gasket but i dont see any signs of it and the gasket and studs where done 2600km ago and the shop wants another 6000 to 7000 to do the job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When my head gaskets went I built pressure all of the time. I would actually vent the tank when I stoped driving for the day. Maybe it is as simple as a bad rad cap? When my water pump went it leaked but I have read about the impellers breaking also. As long as the water is heated it should have pressure due to it expanding. That should not matter if the pump is flowing or not.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 AM

Yes, headgasket will give big time pressure out of the radiator cap. My truck can sit 12 hours while Im at work and still have pressure.

You said"I have heat at an idle and also when i take of easy but when i step on it a bit is comes outMy temp will flucuate between 176 to 194 but when its a 194 after i step on it it blows cold. "

..... Are you talking about your in cab heater when you say blowing cold?

What are your exact symptoms / problems? I know Ive heard where a problem with EGR/OIL cooler failure can give off symptoms of a headgasket failure. Take a deep breath and list what you got going on and hopefully someone here can help you out
Old 12-10-2010, 06:26 PM

$6000 or $7000k to do the job!?!?!?!?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:07 AM

okay at an idle i have heat out of my heater and my truck temp is around 188. when i start to drive the temp will go from 170 to 196 but when it gets up to 192 to 196 i loose all heat out of my heater. When i step on the gas the temp will rise to 192 or 194 and coolant will come out of the tank where the cap goes on but the heater will blow cold for a bought a minute or 2.not sure if its a head gasket or something else. Theres no oil in my anti freeze or no anti freeze in my oil. At a high idle around 1200rpm the truck seems fine but as soon as you get over 2000 rpm thats where the problem begins
Old 12-11-2010, 07:49 AM

I may be wrong but I had the same issue with a car. It turned out to be a broken thermostat. For the money and piece of mind I would check the that before I rushed into a head gasket. Also iverepaired head gaskets that never leaked collant into the oil of oil into the coolant. Depends on where the gasket erodes. The two I did where compressions leaks with out coolant or oil leakage. But I would check t stat
Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 PM

thermost has been changed twice. My question is when my temp raises to 194 why does the heat out of my heater blow so cold. you would think it would blow super hot before it blows out of the degas bottle right??// Last question if it was a blown head gasket wouldnt it also blow anti freeze at a high idle too not just when your driving??? I can leave my truck idle for an hr or two and still it doesnt over heat. it reads normal on both gauges.I just cant make sence of this. When im driving the temp on my sct says it goes from 176 to 194 but my temp on my gauges stay the same and it doesnt read that its over heating. when it blows out of the degas cap the sct gauges says its at 194 to 196 why does the gauge on the dash say its overheating.something doesnt make sence here. I have replaced the studs and head gasket 20,000km ago and it cost me 6500 to do i just cant really afford it again

Last edited by eclipsegt123; 12-11-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Sounds to me maybe like a bad ect. (Engine coolant temperature sensor. If the computer doesn't see the correct temp it won't engage the fan clutch to drop temps. Normal operating temp should be around 180-190 depends on the motor xsome are different. Bring the truck up to normal temp and use a thermolaser to see what the temperature on the water gullet on the motor. Compare that temp to the 180-190. Then drive the truck hard for a little and do the same. If the gauge says normal and the temps from the thermo are higher than themp I would replace the ect. This doesn't sound like a head gasket to me man. Its gonna take some diagnosing but I'm leaning way away from head gasket.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

as far as coolant coming out of the degaus bottle; there was an issue with that in the '05's where they put a sticker on the bottle and had you lower the coolant level. Are you filling the bottle all the way up to the top? Not sure what year you have.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM

not knowing what year you have there are in some models a valve in the heater hose ontop the the right valve cover see it it is open all the way and make sure its not closing cause its not hooked up and keep your degas take on the low side. highly dought head gasket or water pump seems like a flow problem and under higher rpm its forcing the cold radiator coolant into the heater core
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.