The strangest thing... (repost) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The strangest thing... (repost)

I had some trouble posting... I hope this is the correct area. Here is a picture of my readouts at operating temp.

Well apparently it takes more than a Masters Degree in Computer Engineering to put pictures on this forum...

At operating temp my engine oil temp was 184 F, and my coolant temp was 184 F. Give or take a degree or two, they were right on top of each other. I got a wild hair to change my radiator fluid and from reading this forum, I chose not to use the Ford Gold, I used regular green fluid in the 50/50 mix to make sure it was right. After the change, my engine oil temp under the same operating conditions went to around 200 F plus and my coolant temp went to around 188 F, almost creating the 15 deg. temp separation NO NO that is discussed in many of the posts here... I changed it again and I am getting a constant 10 deg. separation now... I am dumbfounded by this. Can anyone help? I have the EGR delete kit and the edge with attitude platinum and have never had any problems with my truck, 2003 6.0, 175,000 never been in the shop... I use RevX twice a year and keep the oil changed ever 5k with Mobile One full synthetic for diesel engines. Why would this make the temp change like it has? Should I go back to the ford gold? HELP! If this is in the wrong place, tell me where to post and how to post and I will move it. I would also like to know how to put pictures in my messages, should be as simple as copy and paste but it is not. Thank you in advance for all your help!
Attached Thumbnails
The strangest thing... (repost)-i-phone-dec.-2010-042.jpg   The strangest thing... (repost)-i-phone-dec.-2010-043.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Definitely do NOT use the green coolant. A decent Extended Life Coolant (ELC) like Cat EC-1 or equivalent is what should be used. As far as your temp differential, it sounds like there is some residual green coolant in the engine.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am currently using the green fluid in the truck, so it is your opinion that I should go back to the Long Life?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Green coolant is ok for your truck you must however change fluid more often. Tow company uses green in all tow trucks with no oil cooler replacement just regular maint. That being said i won't use green in mine will change to elc soon. Owner or shop will not put gold back in trucks, I'm sure someone will chime in. Might have air in system causing high temps. or oil cooler plugged up durring flush.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Definitely do NOT use the green coolant. A decent Extended Life Coolant (ELC) like Cat EC-1 or equivalent is what should be used. As far as your temp differential, it sounds like there is some residual green coolant in the engine.
Do you really think residual green coolant would cause high temps?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All I know is the only thing I did was change the coolant and now my temps are goofy... I am taking any and all suggestions. I wonder if the oil cooler can be removed and cleaned...
Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

At the very least tomorrow I will flush the entire system and go back with Extended Life Gold fluid and distilled water...
Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i don't know about green in a 6.0 but I'd never recommend it. you'd definitely have to add vc8 to keep your nitrite levels up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.