oops its gas - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oops its gas

Ok here we go. My dumb A$$ cousin put gas in her moms 05 6.0L and DROVE it till it quit. New engine im assuming???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
No Drain the tank. Change the filters. Add a quart of 2 stroke oil to the fuel.

Start it and drive it
Old 12-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Disconnect the bottom fuel line on the HFCM. Connect a rubber hose in its place on the HFCM end and a suitably sized drain bucket on the other end. Disconnect the wiring connector to the fuel pump on the HFCM. Supply your own B+ and B- to the fuel pump directly until ALL gasoline is drained completely. Go to your local Ford dealer and pick up a new FD-4616 fuel filter. Refill with DIESEL and reconnect all disconnected components. Road test it until it begins to run better to verify there aren't further issues caused by this mistake.

Count your blessings this vehicle isn't a 6.4L or 6.7L engine or it would be getting a new entire high pressure fuel system replacement.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dam iv seen disel engines run slap away and sling rods through the block from that.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

It's not good but you possibly can overcome this.

That's not to say guaranteed though.

First, completely drain the fuel tank(s). You may have to siphon if you don't have a drain point. Get as much of the gasoline out as you can. Drain fuel rom the HFCM too. Use a turkey baster to get fuel out of the upper fuel filter reservoir. Allow the system to ventilate open to atmosphere for a day if it isn't looking like rain. Get new fuel filters too. Refill with diesel and the cetane boost from Ford or an aftermarket cetane boost but the Ford stuff is very good - use the proper mixture according to the label. The gasoline is most definitely in the fuel lines, the injectors and throughout the system though so you could have some fouling. The 2005 Ford 6.0L does not have a diesel particulate filter so there is one place less to worry about damaging. The fuel pump is durable. The injectors could be damaged but don't count them out either. After refilling and allowing the system to prime several times you will have rough running for a while to be sure. I suspect that things will smooth out after several tanks WITH additive.

I hope this helps. It's better than just saying you have to buy a new engine though.

Jonathan
Old 12-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

good deal. my aunt is freaking out over this thing. she just paid the dealer to do head gaskets a couple months ago.

thanks!!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
It's not good but you possibly can overcome this.

That's not to say guaranteed though.

First, completely drain the fuel tank(s). You may have to siphon if you don't have a drain point. Get as much of the gasoline out as you can. Drain fuel rom the HFCM too. Use a turkey baster to get fuel out of the upper fuel filter reservoir. Allow the system to ventilate open to atmosphere for a day if it isn't looking like rain. Get new fuel filters too. Refill with diesel and the cetane boost from Ford or an aftermarket cetane boost but the Ford stuff is very good - use the proper mixture according to the label. The gasoline is most definitely in the fuel lines, the injectors and throughout the system though so you could have some fouling. The 2005 Ford 6.0L does not have a diesel particulate filter so there is one place less to worry about damaging. The fuel pump is durable. The injectors could be damaged but don't count them out either. After refilling and allowing the system to prime several times you will have rough running for a while to be sure. I suspect that things will smooth out after several tanks WITH additive.

I hope this helps. It's better than just saying you have to buy a new engine though.

Jonathan

Hey thanks for the info
Im sure it will make my aunt feel beter. This is her late husbands truck, and since he passed the HG's oil cooler and egr went, and now this. I bet her daughter wont be driving it any more.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tums works........

One of my friends pumped diesel which had some gas in it and did a number on the injectors.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Along with everyone else here I am sure that we stand together in the desire to see a positive result from this. The so-called "6.0L Bible" has all the photos you need to get this project complete along with the support from those of us here. The recommendation from m-chan68 on how to drain the gasoline through the HFCM using direct voltage from another 12v battery to the fuel pump seems like the best method to get the most fuel out. I'm sure we can get a copy linked here shortly to the pages you require.

Good luck. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Tough lesson but together you'll all get through it - the young lady included.

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.