Its like its skipping... sputtering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its like its skipping... sputtering

So, when i drive around town, my truck like skips or hops a lil. Let me explain. We im driving like 50, and it shifts into like 4th gear, when I give it gas (not enough to downshift) it like sputters or skips. I look at the rpms and they don't move, so its like the engine isnt the problem. I asked the Ford Dealer here and they looked at it. I originally thought it was the Torqu Converter, but they said it was the fuel pump. Then I told them I have an aftermarket fuel system on the truck, they said oh, we'll check again. They then told me it was for sure 5 of my injectors going bad, with one almost completely out. Is this really what it is, or do you all think its another guess from the dealer? They said they hooked up a laptop to it and confirmed it.

I have redone everything in this truck except the injectors and tranny, so what do you think it is? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

I would go with a second or even third opinion. They might be hurting for work and just want some money. If you have around $300 to spend, buy a Autoenginutiy scan tool (software that goes on a laptop) and then you can diagnose it yourself. If not, ask around on here for local people to you if someone can help you out. You need a scanner that can show live data, do buzz test, cylinder contribution tests etc. Hope this helps. It definitely sounds fuel related, but I couldn't tell you on a 6.0. Have you been keeping up with the fuel filters? I know the 6.0 has more than the 7.3 and you said you had an upgraded system (not sure if you re-use the same filter set-up or what not?). Let us know if we can help anymore! See if you can get a Tech to bite on this thread, they are normally dead on with their hypothesis.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if they got that many injector codes that would typically point to a bad ficm. you can check that with a multi-meter using the directions in the tech section.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 AM

Well my problem is, about 2 months ago, I had the heads resurfaced, new head gaskets, new studs, new everything. I replaced 2 injectors #2 and #5 while it was apart as it was cheaper and they were needed. Well, as I come to find out, the injectors that are bad are #1, #2, #3, #5, & #6. I just replaced 2 of those 2 months ago? I dont get it? You think its the FICM? how do I go about checking that?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWOFF View Post
Well my problem is, about 2 months ago, I had the heads resurfaced, new head gaskets, new studs, new everything. I replaced 2 injectors #2 and #5 while it was apart as it was cheaper and they were needed. Well, as I come to find out, the injectors that are bad are #1, #2, #3, #5, & #6. I just replaced 2 of those 2 months ago? I dont get it? You think its the FICM? how do I go about checking that?
It's here: Detailed FICM Repair Procedure
Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM

I had the same issue multiple times. Each time it was either the FICM, injectors, or fuel pump and a couple of times it was a combination of those things.

Test the FICM out, if it's holding volts then I'd make sure it wasn't something with the pump. If they all check out it's the injectors.

Which fuel system are you running for reference?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

About the same issue with maybe a little more detail...

To piggyback on this subject, I believe I am experiencing the same problems. While driving at about 1500 to 1700 rpms it almost sounds/feels like the turbo's blowoff is cutting in and out. I can hear the turbo releasing pressure at the same time the truck gives a slight jerk back and forth while jumping in and out of power. I also think its a fuel related issue due to the fact that I have also noticed that when I get into it hard and put the pedal to the floor, it does its downshift but then does not give any feelable power. I expect to feel some pressure pushing me into the seat and it does nothing. It drops a gear revs up for a second then does not rev any higher and provides no additional power. Then the popping from the turbo and the power surges continue. I just bought this truck and I am getting a little dissapointed and somewhat nervous from this issue. It takes me a while to get up to 60 mph on the freeway due to the lack of highend power. I hope this is descriptive enough. Any help would be appreciated. I will do some troubleshooting this upcoming week and let everyone know what I find. Thanks! And great site you gentlemen/ladies have here!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 AM

PainTrain - I have a Stage one FASS system in it. I think its like the 190 or something? Not exactly sure. I did the FICM check, and found that I have 48.4 volts, so I am good on that. Not sure what else to check. I guess its the injectors... Hmmmmmm
Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 AM

If you just had work done, then I would check the wiring harness going to each cylinder as well as where they pass through the valve cover. Before you start throwing more money and parts at something it's a cheap and relatively easy thing to check. Maybe they are a little loose or maybe they have chafed.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 PM

I was just gonna say that Roary.

Showoff, the 03-04 motors are notorious for chaffing issues. If you can visually see there are no chaffing or harness issues then you might be needing injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.