hopping like a bunny with a 4x4 like sound. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation hopping like a bunny with a 4x4 like sound.

Alright here's the deal. I need some help. I recently purchased a 2003 f250 with 180k 4x4. I was aware of these vibrations when I purchased the truck. I have receipts showing a new transmission, brakes,and tires among other things. Like a lot of other threads I am reading, my truck too is hopping all over the place between 40 and 50 mph. I feel light hopping at various speeds but I think its related to the same problem. Today I hauled a bed load of firewood and felt nothing. I have been thinking that the problem was in the rear of the truck and todays experience confirmed it. I don't have a lot of money to throw at this. I checked the drive line and there is about 1/2 inch of rotational play in it. Could that be related, also I have noticed that sometimes while hopping I hear a friction related sound kind of a wawawawawawa. Almost like the 4x4 is engaged when its not. I have no idea wha is going on and I need help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
put it in 4wd and go down road...if it hops...maybe original owner put gears in back and not in front
Old 12-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It wont damage my hubs or 4x4 to run 40 - 50 mph on pavement? What do you mean by gears? You don't think the drive line play has anythinng to do with it?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i mean your front gear ratio might be different then the back...you would be able to tell in 4 wheel low...
Old 12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I see. This is happening in 2 wheel drive. I just drove it around, this time when it started shaking I popped it in neutral, and it continued to shake until I dropped below 40mph. I can even feel it when im moving slowly. Its driving my crazy and my friends and family is starting with the ford jokes.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright - well this morning it was below freezing outside and i noticed that it was not hopping at first. I drove about 2 miles before i noticed the hopping beginning. Almost as if the heat either in a bearing or tire has something to do with it... I can't help feel that it could be related to the drive line. Would heat cause the driveline to change in any way causing it to shake? Also, is it hard to remove the drive line? Where would you start to troubleshoot this problem??? I need help bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
4x4, hopping, sound, vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.