05 cold start puff of white smoke and rough idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
05 cold start puff of white smoke and rough idle

I'm probably just siding on caution here, but this morning (temp 40) i didnt plug the truck in... turned key on glow plugs fired for extended time which is to be expected. turned it over fired up after 3-5 sec.. not a long hard start at all. I noticed a puff of white smoke that came out tail pipe.. truck had a rough idle which is too be expected due to temp. after initial puff of white smoke nothing further... i let it warm up and drove away after 5-10mins of idle. Anything i should be concerned with?

Currently 106.5k on the clock. Had cooling system flushed with ford gold @ 105k
Have not deleted EGR yet.. EOT and ECT are within 10deg of each other.. i have a oil bypass and coolant filter as well...

oh yeah and go !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 11:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjbeach85 View Post
I'm probably just siding on caution here, but this morning (temp 40) i didnt plug the truck in... turned key on glow plugs fired for extended time which is to be expected. turned it over fired up after 3-5 sec.. not a long hard start at all. I noticed a puff of white smoke that came out tail pipe.. truck had a rough idle which is too be expected due to temp. after initial puff of white smoke nothing further... i let it warm up and drove away after 5-10mins of idle. Anything i should be concerned with?

Currently 106.5k on the clock. Had cooling system flushed with ford gold @ 105k
Have not deleted EGR yet.. EOT and ECT are within 10deg of each other.. i have a oil bypass and coolant filter as well...

oh yeah and go !!
When you had a coolent flush at 105k and going back with the Ford Gold cxxp coolent that was a wast of $$$$. Do some reading her on ELC coolents and you will get it out ASAP.
2 stroker
Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
unfortunately i didn't do any research on the coolant issue. Knowing this now.. ELC is nothing more than extended life coolant? correct? I only ask, because i know prestone and all the brands sold at like napa or autozone sell gallons of it.

Any issues with this coolant? or should i buy a different type and if so what's the reasoning behind it?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 AM

keep up with your coolant filters. Change and flush to an ELC. Fleetrite is what International uses in their engines. As for the smoke question, its normal if it clears up. If it keeps smoking you may have cooler issues,( egr, oil cooler)
Old 11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Carbon huffing animal

Below freezing temps, I have some white smoke that I attribute to condensation build up in the exhaust overnight (or the weekend). It takes half the time to burn off as it does for all the gassers around me when they start up.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjbeach85 View Post
unfortunately i didn't do any research on the coolant issue. Knowing this now.. ELC is nothing more than extended life coolant? correct? I only ask, because i know prestone and all the brands sold at like napa or autozone sell gallons of it.

Any issues with this coolant? or should i buy a different type and if so what's the reasoning behind it?
The right coolent should say CAT EC-1 Rated, I would check with Cat, Cummins, International there are a lot out there i went with the Delo good for 750k if you check at 300k should due me i only have 123k on my 97 time will run out before the miles
2 stroker
Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 PM

Heres a thread that somewhat has to do with the rough idle on first startup --->6.0 oil analysis on Rotella T-5 10w-30. You will probably like this.

I have the one with info on the coolant in my backpocket somewhere....
Old 11-30-2010, 03:30 PM

Heres the thread with great info about the coolant. It is a very long read but well worth it, post #198 is a good one.

--------> Replaced oil cooler still difference in temps
Old 12-01-2010, 02:25 PM

the white smoke is most likely unburned fuel, unburned fuel is white. I haven't a diesel engine yet that doesn't blow a puff of white smoke on a cold start. nothing to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.