need help! 6 liter ford no power and black smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help! 6 liter ford no power and black smoke

Hello, I have a 03-f350 6.0 liter. the problem started when axcellerating hard and letting off pedal qiickly, I could hear studdering and poping noises, almost like a backfire. It still had power,but would mis a bit and when you would stand on it hard again and back off it would pop and miss and straighten out, But the last time it did it ,it lost all it,s power and has seriouse black smoke ,when accelerating hard and no power. you have to go a mile to get it to 50mph. It starts fine and idle perfect. Just no power. I changed fuel filters and it didn,t change anything. I read similar power problems here and will try to clean egr tomarrow, any help is appreciated. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
that sounds like your turbo is gone...need a scanner.were are you located???
Old 11-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for quick reply, I,m from linwood , mi. I will have to get it scanned to be sure. I was hoping it would be the egr pluged.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Carbon huffing animal

Plugged EGR would only be a short sluggish take off, then black smoke and you get your powerback. About as long as an intersection of a major 6 lane highway, taking off from the stop light. Not going a mile to get to 50, that, maybe your turbo
Old 11-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an 04 6.0 that had the exact same symptoms several years ago. Ended up being the EGR valve. They replaced it under warranty.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringMadness View Post
Plugged EGR would only be a short sluggish take off, then black smoke and you get your powerback. About as long as an intersection of a major 6 lane highway, taking off from the stop light. Not going a mile to get to 50, that, maybe your turbo
I've had egr valves stick bad enough that I couldn't drive it back to the shop. I had to have the service manager bring me a new one and some tools so I could do a roadside swap. If the egr valve sticks it can cause just a flat out lack of power and take lots of time to get to 50 mph if it gets there at all.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Carbon huffing animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieseldoctor View Post
I've had egr valves stick bad enough that I couldn't drive it back to the shop. I had to have the service manager bring me a new one and some tools so I could do a roadside swap. If the egr valve sticks it can cause just a flat out lack of power and take lots of time to get to 50 mph if it gets there at all.
Makes perfect sense. You obviously have much more experience to speak to that. I'm a weekend warrior, only on my truck at that. But I see how that could happen, I just never experienced it, or heard from anybody come back and say, "This was it!" (very disappointing aspect of the forum IMHO)
Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringMadness View Post
or heard from anybody come back and say, "This was it!" (very disappointing aspect of the forum IMHO)
Its a disappointing aspect of all forums and I feel you on that one! What can you do though
Old 11-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

But you should always check for codes first. If it's sticking there is almost always a P0404 code stored. Even if the light isn't on. The valves are not cheap and there's no sense wasting money on parts that aren't gonna fix it.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

be sure to check ebay for a new valve if it turns out that thats your problem. my dealer wanted $400 for a new egr valve, i was able to find a motorcraft egr on ebay for $134 that matched my part number to the letter and was brand new in the box. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.