RPM surge/jump forward - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy RPM surge/jump forward

Hello
Newbie here. great website I have found. I dont feel so alone anymore!
Just yesterday RPMs jumped slightly and the Truck jumped/ lunged forward enough for me to notice. We bought this used about a month ago and have not yet had any problems. I was going to take it this weekend to have an oil change/fuel filter/oil filter change. But I am heading to dealer tonight! I know its not much info for you guys but is there any thoughts ? Truck seems to have plenty of power even though the Excursion is one heavy beast. The CEL did come on of course if that helps ?

I bought this for my wife to haul around our two kids and dogs and travel with. She babies this Truck and does not drive it like a 16 year old male might...
I am certainly not experienced like you guys but love the diesel for durability/strength and longivity..or so I thought??

Anywords from you fellas ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmdubT View Post
Hello
Newbie here. great website I have found. I dont feel so alone anymore!
Just yesterday RPMs jumped slightly and the Truck jumped/ lunged forward enough for me to notice. We bought this used about a month ago and have not yet had any problems. I was going to take it this weekend to have an oil change/fuel filter/oil filter change. But I am heading to dealer tonight! I know its not much info for you guys but is there any thoughts ? Truck seems to have plenty of power even though the Excursion is one heavy beast. The CEL did come on of course if that helps ?

I bought this for my wife to haul around our two kids and dogs and travel with. She babies this Truck and does not drive it like a 16 year old male might...
I am certainly not experienced like you guys but love the diesel for durability/strength and longivity..or so I thought??

Anywords from you fellas ?
Year and miles would help. Well to start with you can not baby these trucks or you will have trouble the EGR valve will plug up on you and the vains in the turbo will stick so about everyother week after it warms up you have to drive it like you stole it, and you need to use a cetane boost in the fuel to help keep thing clean and do not idle them to long and only use Ford filters These 6.0 need gauges or you can get into trouble.
2 stroker
Old 11-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate the reply.
2003 6.0 4x4 excursion / 153,000 miles.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmdubT View Post
I appreciate the reply.
2003 6.0 4x4 excursion / 153,000 miles.
I would get a new EGR valve and get it install if it has never been cleaned look here how to clean.
Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Technician Society
You need gauges!!!!! The big thing is the difference in EOT-ECT the max is 15 degrees driveing 55-60 on the freeway if you have more than that your coolers are plugged, also need a fuel pressure gauge because under 45 lbs at WOT you will kill your injectors mine with 17k on it at WOT was 44 lbs and 50 at idle installed reg kit now 62 idle and 58 at WOT, get a coolent filter on and do a flush on the coolent and install ELC coolent. Big shopping list.
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.