Power Loss and lots of Grey Smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 04:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Loss and lots of Grey Smoke

hye guys, hope you can help. I've got a 05 F350 with an 06 6.0 in it. Having a reoccuring issue. Truck runs great for a while, then losses power (almost like it has a governor in it, won't rev, can barely creep along) and while it loses power it smokes a lot. No check engine light. Today when it did it I had stepped on it to pass somebody then it lost power and started smoking shortly after that. I limped along for a bit, pulled over and shut off, restarted then reved it up a bit in neutral which cleared it up and seems to run normally, enough for me to make it home. Any pointers on where to look first would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda View Post
hye guys, hope you can help. I've got a 05 F350 with an 06 6.0 in it. Having a reoccuring issue. Truck runs great for a while, then losses power (almost like it has a governor in it, won't rev, can barely creep along) and while it loses power it smokes a lot. No check engine light. Today when it did it I had stepped on it to pass somebody then it lost power and started smoking shortly after that. I limped along for a bit, pulled over and shut off, restarted then reved it up a bit in neutral which cleared it up and seems to run normally, enough for me to make it home. Any pointers on where to look first would be helpful. Thanks.
Well it may be a EGR valve or a stuck turbo, i would pull the valve and clean it then if it still messes up i would think turbo. Do you use any cetane boost in the fuel and eveyother week drive it like you stole it after it warms up to keep the valve working and the turbo vains working and if they set to long they will rust.
2 stroker
Old 11-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
like said above, it's pretty common for an egr valve to do this

definitely run some additive if you don't already
Old 11-21-2010, 05:07 PM

I just unplugged the EGR and drove it for a few hours, problem didn't occur so yeah the egr is probably the culprit. The truck is for sale otherwise I'd delete the egr system entirely. Thanks, Tyler
As an aside what causes the egrs to stick?
Old 11-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda View Post
I just unplugged the EGR and drove it for a few hours, problem didn't occur so yeah the egr is probably the culprit. The truck is for sale otherwise I'd delete the egr system entirely. Thanks, Tyler
As an aside what causes the egrs to stick?
???As an aside what causes the egrs to stick? The lack of cetane boost and idleing to long, these trucks like to run if you baby them they will bit you in the axx, max boost 28 ibs over that you may pop a head or 2
2 stroker
Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM

I'm only seeing 20lbs of boost (according to the factory gauge), should I be seeing higher?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.