Checkin Cooler issues lookin for suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Red face Checkin Cooler issues lookin for suggestions

Hi Forum

I just bought this 2006 F250 with 121,000 miles. Been busy installing a turnover gooseneck hitch and find out about the Coolant system problems. Runs good, got sticktion issues, but I've replaced the just replaced 15-40 motorcraft with Rotella 10-30 T5. and expect this to improve.

The truck was cleaned up under the hood, but under the cap of the radiator burp bag, the ring under the cap had the white crusty stuff trapped, which make me concerned about EGR coolant temps.

I've put 160 miles on it since I bought it and the ride from the dealer was 65 hyw miles alone, and there is still a reasonable amount of coolant in the burp bag so it its leaking it, I'm not seeing a loss nor have I notice white smoke from the exhuast, so I'm wondering if there is other ways to verify if there is problem.

Been looking at Edge Insight, but cant figure out if its designed to monitor all the necessary factors out the box (plug into an exsisting portal), or if you have to purchase additional probes, and install them in the sensitive areas.

I been planning to do the flushing and replacement of coolant Ford coolant with ELC, but I didnt want to have to buy $1800 of replacement kit with coolers etc, just hoping to clean things up, and us the exisiting system, if possible.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 08:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsestrokin View Post
Hi Forum

I just bought this 2006 F250 with 121,000 miles. Been busy installing a turnover gooseneck hitch and find out about the Coolant system problems. Runs good, got sticktion issues, but I've replaced the just replaced 15-40 motorcraft with Rotella 10-30 T5. and expect this to improve.

The truck was cleaned up under the hood, but under the cap of the radiator burp bag, the ring under the cap had the white crusty stuff trapped, which make me concerned about EGR coolant temps.

I've put 160 miles on it since I bought it and the ride from the dealer was 65 hyw miles alone, and there is still a reasonable amount of coolant in the burp bag so it its leaking it, I'm not seeing a loss nor have I notice white smoke from the exhuast, so I'm wondering if there is other ways to verify if there is problem.

Been looking at Edge Insight, but cant figure out if its designed to monitor all the necessary factors out the box (plug into an exsisting portal), or if you have to purchase additional probes, and install them in the sensitive areas.

I been planning to do the flushing and replacement of coolant Ford coolant with ELC, but I didnt want to have to buy $1800 of replacement kit with coolers etc, just hoping to clean things up, and us the exisiting system, if possible.

What do you think?
The Edge Insight is a plug and play the only thing you will have to get extra is the EGT probe and drill to install it is a must and a sweet tool every 6.0 should have one because the stock gauges are junk when they move it's to late but the boost is right on 28 lbs max. Here is the coolent change.
Probe http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/PSD3-gauge/image24.htm
Coolant Flush for changing to ELC

Drain coolant by removing lower radiator hose. Drain block from plug on drivers side of the block. Replace plug in block drivers side and put lower hose back on. Remove t/stat put thermostat housing back on without thermostat. Fill with distilled water. run for 5 minutes with heater on high then drain as above. If you have 60K + put 2 qts of VC-9 and fill with distilled water. Drive it for about 60-90 minutes. Drain and flush with distilled water. Put in 1 gallon of Restore from Cummins and top it of with distilled water. Drive it for an 60-90 minutes then drain. Flush 2 times with distilled water or whatever it takes to come clear. Replace thermostat or put in a new one. Put hose back, make sure block plug is tight. Add 3.5 gallons of ELC concentrate and top off with distilled water. Make sure to run engine for 5 minutes between flushes to circulate the water good. Have heater on set to hi while doing this to flush the heater core too. When doing this no need to pull plug on right side of block because to do this you need to remove the starter

2 stroker

Last edited by 2 stroker; 11-16-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 AM

Thanks 2 stroker.

On the EGT probe, I'm assuming the exhuast manifold has to be drilled & tapped? How about the fire wall to get the probe into the cab? Does the Insight typicially just lay on the floor or seat of the truck, or is there a mount that you can purchase that works well with the wiring harness and EGT probe hidden?

I've read to watch the EOT (engine oil) and ECT (engine coolant) temps and compare them, but where does the EGT comparsion come into play? With a stock truck, Do you think its worth the extra bucks to buy the high dollar version, Edge Evolution, that you can change your programming for better mileage or more power (assuming it monitors the same or more than the Insight, but comes with EGT and mount)?

Last edited by Horsestrokin; 11-16-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: model number
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 AM

Checking for head gasket leaks

Still looking for ways to determine if and what kind of damage or repairs might be needed with this new-to-me truck might need. Unfortunately I don't have the history on.

Many years ago, I recall one method I learned was to remove the radiator cap while the vehicle was running, and look for constant pressure coming from the radiator, is this practice still suggested or helpful (assuming you don't get burnt in the process?

What about removing the oil excess cap and looking for blow by? Will these 6.0 show any blow by under normal conditions?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM

These motors have blow by. I would start with the Insight with EGT probe. Monitoring your coolant and oil temps will tell you how your oil cooler is.

If it is puking coolant it has a problem. Best case scenerio(sp) is a bad degas cap with middle being bad oil/egr cooler and worst being blown HG or cracked block.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

park the truck with the front of the truck pointed downhill. pull the egr valve and check for coolant. this will tell you if your egr cooler is blown.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:51 PM

EGT with Monitor

I wondering if the EGT is really going to be helpful in watching for adnormal temp imbalances, other than checking to see if its ok to shut off you truck cause you heated it up by pulling hard or racing it.

One can buy a Insight fairly reasonable, but the EGT probe itself is over $100, not to mention the extra work of installation.

I wonder if the insight would calculate fuel mileage too?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsestrokin View Post
I wondering if the EGT is really going to be helpful in watching for adnormal temp imbalances, other than checking to see if its ok to shut off you truck cause you heated it up by pulling hard or racing it.

One can buy a Insight fairly reasonable, but the EGT probe itself is over $100, not to mention the extra work of installation.

I wonder if the insight would calculate fuel mileage too?
The probe is about $80 and the install is about 30 min max, I use a pad and pen to calculate fuel mileage
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.