2003, Powermax turbo, VGT relearn and custom programming - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2003, Powermax turbo, VGT relearn and custom programming

I have searched up and down and have not been able to find the answer to my question so I thought I would post here.

I have replaced my old turbo (stock original 2003 turbo, which was crapping out) with a new Garrett Powermax turbo. The old one was never boosting off the line that well but I was attributing that to the vanes (took it appart and cleaned them but I think they were messed up for so long before I got the truck that it mostly killed the solenoid). The truck always had a reasonable top end which I have since learned was probably from an existing program and not a factory tune.

My question would be, I would like to have the VGT relearn run on it (I have looked it up and tried it several times but it doesn't appear to be cycling the turbo at all) to get the bottom end back. With the non-factory tune though I am unsure what the bottom end should feel like. Should I get the truck flashed back to stock at the dealer and try the relearn again?? Also, would my EGR delete be messing with the trucks ability to relearn the VGT sweep? I was reading in one post on powerstoke that was saying if there were any issues in the system it wouldn't do the relearn (could the EGR codes on my 03 be causing this?).

Thoughts??

on a side note, when the turbo does spool up it sounds good...I just don't have that '03 sound at idle.

Additional question, can I get an SCT and just program it over top of the existing program or do I need to start with a stock base program before it will let me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not to get off subject do you still have your stock turbo. Let me know. If so and you are willing to sell it I need it asap. P.M me thanks.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the vgt learn strategy is only incorporated into calibrations that have the inferred ep strategy. whether you have this or not will depend on the last time your truck was reflashed.

egr codes/ egr system problems can negatively effect turbo spool up and boost pressure.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 AM

The boost wasn't acting as I would have expected for a stock truck with the stock turbo either. Now that I know it has some type of tune on it, all bets are off for what "normal" is.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM

I am also wondering if i could get my powermax to do the vane checks like my 03 turbo did. No big deal but if i could i would do it
Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthgear View Post
The boost wasn't acting as I would have expected for a stock truck with the stock turbo either. Now that I know it has some type of tune on it, all bets are off for what "normal" is.
does the vehicle have any codes? turbo/boost performance is monitored by the pcm if it thinks there is an issue it will set a dtc for it. sometimes the pcm wont pick up on it for that there are some hands on diagnostic tests.

are you certain there is an aftermarket program installed? even if there was one it shouldnt disable the vane sweep at idle if your trucks calibration has that feature.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33yrmz View Post
I am also wondering if i could get my powermax to do the vane checks like my 03 turbo did. No big deal but if i could i would do it
are you saying you swapped from an 03 turbo to a powermax on the 2007 listed in your signature?

there is no plausable reason for a turbo swap to disable the vane sweep at idle that is intended to prevent the turbocharger vanes from sticking if the truck has a calibration that is equipped with that feature.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKS-O View Post
does the vehicle have any codes? turbo/boost performance is monitored by the pcm if it thinks there is an issue it will set a dtc for it. sometimes the pcm wont pick up on it for that there are some hands on diagnostic tests.

are you certain there is an aftermarket program installed? even if there was one it shouldnt disable the vane sweep at idle if your trucks calibration has that feature.
I have 2 codes related to the EGR system (which has been removed). It also had a P1000, but that was probably because I had not driven it much at that point to have it work through its tests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.