Truck will start then just die... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
now with codes...Truck will start then just die...

Let me start by saying hi and I love this site....there is great deal of knowledge here and great members. Well I am the proud owner of a 2004 F250 FX4 CCLB Lariat. I absolutely love my truck even when its acting up. On with my problem.....Truck died on me about a mile from my house two days ago (ran fine then just died). It wouldnt start.....so I got it home by unplugging the ICP sensor but it would only run for a minute or so before it shut off. I figured ICP sensor, so I replaced it. Now it starts but dies after a minute of running. I am going to test the FICM tomorrow morning. I am just looking for any ideas or similar problems some of you might of had. Thank you in advance

P.S. I do not have a code reader and know I need one.....whats a good one to hook up to a laptop?

Last edited by Strokin304; 11-13-2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: new codes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is your check engine light on? Any excess smoke out the exhaust?
Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 PM

no light and barely any smoke (small puffs if any). I know my EGR is leaking....i get the occasional smoke, but I did cean my EGR valve and everything was running great right before this.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:10 AM

A buddy brought down the Snap-On Solus. Here are the codes that were pulled:
P0265
P0282
P0403
P0405
P0603
P2284
P2614
P2617
I have found the definitions of these codes and am trying to figure out some answers..Does this sound more like FICM going bad or HPOP? Truck starts and runs rough with the ICP unplugged and will cut out by itself after a minute or so. Truck will not start with the ICP plugged in. At idle the reader showed it was losing ICP pressure. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is recall#05S34S3 which addresses problems with FICM/ICP harness issues. The FICM has probles with the harness chaffing on bolts and there is a problem with the ICP connector and the crimps on the wire. Not sure if your VIN is covered or if youve had it done but i'd check into it if you havent. If they both look ok or you have already had it done, I would replace the ICP sensor.If leaving it unconnected lets it start, it leads me to think the harness is ok. I would replace the ICP sensor first and then rediagnose. Have your friend delete the DTCs and see which ones come back. You may need 2 injectors with the 2 injector DTCs but as mentioned, replace the ICP sensor, clear the DTCs, see which ones come back and then rediagnose if needed.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hope this guy comes back and tells us what was found and corrected.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM

I will be getting dirty tomorrow. Been a crazy last few days, but I will post what I find. Thank you for the help firefighter317. I told the old lady don't be surprised if when she gets home from work I have half the motor taken apart...
Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 PM

Update...
I took the day off to work on the truck. I started with all the wiring. Found some rough looking areas in the FICM harness...fixed them including a loose ground. Disconnected both batteries before working and then hooked them up afterwards. Hooked back up new ICP sensor and fired her up. She starts...running a little rough but started. Now its running but when accelerate the Water In Fuel and Glow Plug Indicator come on and it will idle down or stall out. I drained the water and its still doing the same thing. Could it be bad gas or does it sound like FICM? Thanks again for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.