Sputter on cold acceleration/white smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 09:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sputter on cold acceleration/white smoke

Just starting running into another issue with the cold weather rollin in. Truck warms up for about 20 minutes before leaving. Starts fine and idles fine. Problem is when i leave the driveway and press on the gas, it sputters and blows white smoke without a very powerful acceleration. It only does this when i first go to drive it and clears up immediatly after getting up to speed. Once i come to a stop and let off the break it surges and then stalls unless i through it into N. Again clears up after its at normal operating temperature. I have changed fuel filters, clean egr valve( however when i checked the egr again it was covered in carbon again, so i cleaned it again and the egr intake) and problems still occured. Could all this be just gummed up turbo veins??? Truck throws no codes. Anyone with similar problems???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL06 View Post
Just starting running into another issue with the cold weather rollin in. Truck warms up for about 20 minutes before leaving. Starts fine and idles fine. Problem is when i leave the driveway and press on the gas, it sputters and blows white smoke without a very powerful acceleration. It only does this when i first go to drive it and clears up immediatly after getting up to speed. Once i come to a stop and let off the break it surges and then stalls unless i through it into N. Again clears up after its at normal operating temperature. I have changed fuel filters, clean egr valve( however when i checked the egr again it was covered in carbon again, so i cleaned it again and the egr intake) and problems still occured. Could all this be just gummed up turbo veins??? Truck throws no codes. Anyone with similar problems???
Are you running any cetane boost to keep the turbo and EGR valve clean, the white smoke is coolent or fuel. You need to drive it like you stole it every now and then and that 20 minute warm up is not good. This my help
Diesel Technician Society
2 stroker
Old 11-10-2010, 03:45 AM

Just ran 8oz of motorcraft cetane boost yesterday with a fill up and head a little more lead in my foot today. Seemed to be running pretty good. Still think i am out of a little low end power but could just be me thinking to hard about it. Doin some maintenance this weekend, air filter replacement, Valvoline Premium blue oil change and a possible turbo removal to clean it up. Would you recommend warming the truck up at all on cold mornings or not?? Thanks for the advice
Old 11-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah, no need for a 20 min warmup though. i dont know where your at and how cold its getting, but plugging it in helps a lot
Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 03 6.0 is doing the same thing, but I noticed that the transmission wont shift when this smoking condition is happening, is this the same for you? When I leave in the morning, the truck runs up to about 3000rpm's, it loses power, and white smoke spews from the exhaust,I take my foot off of the pedal, tranny up-shifts, power (accleration) comes back, and white smoke dissapears, then this problem is gone for the day. Plugging-in the truck helps, and warming-up the truck also helps because as soon as norm operating temps are reached, the problem doesn't return. Is there an "over-rev" protection on the early 03 SD's, if there is, would it dump unburnt diesel out the exhaust to keep the tranny from grenading? Could this be a tranny issue?

Last edited by BIGWILLPAPA; 12-14-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added more information
Old 12-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

read the oil thread in my signature, RL06 and Bigwillpapa. It has good info on oil and cold starts. You might be experiencing what is called stiction, there are a few threads floating around about it.

Bigwill your apparent tranny shifting issue believe it or not is caused by the injectors ! Our injectors are oil driven, first thing in the morning the oil is cold and the injectors stick and wont let you get too high in the RPMs. Alot of people have had similar problems myself included
Old 12-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i am having a similar problem...started out the same way a couple weeks ago, then progressively became more frequent and got worse. no codes popped up.checked and tried a few suggestions from others on another forum. lastly unplugged the ebp sensor and the condition cleared up and truck runs alot smoother.have a few other things to look at first, but seems like it's that sensor that's the problem for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.