6.0 long crank time ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 long crank time ?

I have a 6.0 that has been taking longer than ever to start for the last few weeks. This morning it was down to 20 deg. F and it took a solid 5 seconds of cranking before it fired up. (I know Ford says up to 5 sec. in cold weather is normal but it never did this last winter) Once it starts it sounds fine and runs smooth. Although twice I heard a loud thump sound from under the hood as it was warming up. I'm trying to figure out what is causing this and after researching on here and talking to different people I am more confused than ever

So heres a little more info. to help anyone that might want to tell me something I have or haven't heard yet.

I just changed the fuel filters and oil a week or so ago. I put 15w40 in and now realize I should have used 10w30 since winter is coming. Could this be the problem? I dont think so because it started having long crank times before the oil change.

Seems to be worse when its cold but doesn't improve much when warm.

I buy good diesel (not bio blend) from a station that I haven't had any problems with in the past. I also use power service additive on a regular basis and drive it hard at times (ok most of the time) to keep the turbo and egr cleaned out.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry i cant help but i have the same problem so in subscribing....
Old 11-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to dantry
Im not saying I have had the exact problem that because simply im not a diesel mechanic by no means, however my 06 did the same thing and eventually it would take longer and longer until it eventually would crank and crank but not turn over. The issue ended up being the oil was unable to get to the injectors. Like I said I obviously can say that this is definitely what you have but its something to think about. Good luck hope it pans out for you
Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

it could be many things, i would start by checking ficm voltage.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:16 PM

its the 15w40 oil. That engine was made to run on 10w30 during any season. we have 5 6.0s, all acted funny on 15w40. talked to a long time powerstroke mechanic who talked to navistar about it, they said only run 10w30 in them, so we did, all problems went away. take that oil out and put in 10w30.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok thought about the oil but it was doing it in warm weather (50s) and that is the oil the manual recommended. It does say 10w 30 for temp below 30 so I think I might try that.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:12 PM

What did you find out?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I read somewhere (on here I think) that it is possible to get air in the high pressure oil system and that in order to clear it Ford recamendeds doing 12 hard accellerations from 25 to 50. Then letting the truck sit for 5 min. and restarting and see if the crank time shortens. Needless to stay I tried this and it didn't make any difference.

I started thinking maybe I just got some bad fuel. I avoid bio blends because I notice the difference with them and they seem to cause longer cranks. Since I dont drive much (I work 5 min. from home) I am waiting to get all the fuel out and I am going to try refueling somewhere else and see what happens. It is back in the 50s now here and lows at night are only 42. Right now I am down to a half tank of fuel and the truck seems fine. So the power service I added to the tank got mixed around and is helping, I ran out the bad stuff, it is warmer, I dont know...For now I'm not really worried about it. We'll see if the problem returns and if so I will let you guys know.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Diesel is Power!!!

I'm also having long start times. Its been in the 5o's here and I'm running 15w40 for a few more weeks then changing to 10w30. I have also had times when I shut off the truck and restart it with in 30 to 40 min and it wont start then after a hour wait it will start but cranks up to 15sec to get going. The ford dealer said it mite be a High pressure oil system fitting that mite cause it.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine was doing the same thing a little while ago, and my dealer ended up putting in the updated STC fitting and replacing the dummy plugs. The diesel tech at the dealer told me my long crank time was caused by a high pressure oil leak.

The STC fitting and dummy plug replacement fixed the problem right up.

Something else for you to consider...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.