Head Gasket Testing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gasket Testing

I recently replaced my egr delete and oil cooler because I had signs of oil in the coolant. I purchased this truck in the winter and prior to the replacement of the parts I was not puking any coolant. I am not sure if this is because it wasn't hot or I wasn't towing with it at the time. Well fast forward to this summer and while towing my 3000 lb boat I puke coolant. The coolant and oil temps are always within 10 degrees of each other. Also, I am noticing when I decelerate I hear that tea kettle sound that many hear with bad head gaskets. I am looking for advice on the easiest way to test the system. I recall reading a thread that stated you could run a piece of tubing spliced off the overflow lines into the cab, throw a pressure gauge on it, and monitor while driving for pressure over 16 psi. Is this the easiest/proper way to test for bad head gaskets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

since you have done the egr delete you may just want to take the lid of the degas bottle start the truck and see if it puffs out the bottle, also check your coolant for fuel, if you have an injector cup starting to leak it can also give some head gasket type symptoms.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpearce View Post
since you have done the egr delete you may just want to take the lid of the degas bottle start the truck and see if it puffs out the bottle, also check your coolant for fuel, if you have an injector cup starting to leak it can also give some head gasket type symptoms.
If I get a puff out of the degas bottle when I start the truck what does that mean? Something wrong with the egr delete or head gaskets? How do I check coolant for fuel with some kind of coolant test kit?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:09 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
what style egr delete did you go with?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfr View Post
I recall reading a thread that stated you could run a piece of tubing spliced off the overflow lines into the cab, throw a pressure gauge on it, and monitor while driving for pressure over 16 psi. Is this the easiest/proper way to test for bad head gaskets?
That's how the Ford techs do it. T fitting with a hose and gauge coming off the T into the cab.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
what style egr delete did you go with?
This was the kit I purchased:

03-07 6.0 POWERSTROKE FORD EGR COOLER BLOCK OFF KIT: eBay Motors (item 360288217672 end time Sep-06-10 15:50:22 PDT)

Is it possible that something is wrong with this kit?
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey sorry for the delay in response, but what I understand is if you get puffing from the degas bottle you have pressure in coolant system. So since the egr cooler is gone your not going to get pressure from that source so possibly a head gasket (lets hope not) but if you find fuel in your coolant (I don,t know of an actual test other than looking in the degas bottle or draining a small amount of coolant from the system) and looking and smelling the coolant for signs of fuel. If you do find fuel in your coolant it could be an injector cup which can be replaced with the head on the truck. You also may want to get the truck scanned to see if a cylinder is running out side of its tolerances, such as low boost on a cylinder, ect.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:55 PM

the way you test for combustion in fuel system. install remote start and take off fuel filter cap. if you get bubbles through filter housing, you have combustion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.