Even worse fuel mileage ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 05boosted250 Send a message via MSN to 05boosted250 Send a message via Yahoo to 05boosted250
Even worse fuel mileage ???

Was getting 9.2 on my truck with the Diablo set on street. Bumped it up to race and went down to 8.1. After awhile on race I went back to street, but the mpg never went back up. No real big deal so I wasnt worried. Then I got the power elbow and unplugged my EGR. Bout a week later my truck died cuz I was jamming out to the stereo for to long, so I had to jump my truck. Now my mpg reads 6.3 and with my heavy foot Im only getting about 150 miles before I need to refuel. What happened? Do I need to reset something? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

are you going by your calculations or the computer
Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 05boosted250 Send a message via MSN to 05boosted250 Send a message via Yahoo to 05boosted250
By the computer for all calculations.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:55 AM

push and hold the 2 buttons in to reset and those things our never right
Old 05-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Which 2, cuz there are 3? And if your referring to resetting the computer system so that it does all those checks or the other one where it does some other thing, Ive done those.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:06 AM

the two up on the roof just look and it sould have lines going to two of them and saying reset hold them
Old 05-18-2007, 09:09 AM

Click That

Overhead Console woes.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Banned

I would say you need to do 2 things before you can say for sure that you have a problem. The first thing that I would do is run 10 miles down a highway with mile markers. You will be able to tell how accurate your odometer is by comparing it's reading to the measured 10 miles. I use 10 miles because it gives enough distance to get an accurate reading and it makes the calculations easy. Stay in one lane while you do this as weaving back and forth will mess up the actual distance traveled.

If you do this and your odometer only reads 6 miles then that is most of your problem. The second thing you need to do is accurately hand calculate your mileage. Take the time to fill the tank until fuel is seen in the neck (not just foam). Drive for a few days and refill the exact same way. Miles traveled divided by gallons used is the only accurate calculation that you can count on.

I don't know much about the Diablo, but my bet is that it has messed with the accuracy of your odometer. The only other thing that I can think of that would produce fuel economy that poor is excessive idling. The rule of thumb is 1 hour idle time equals 33 miles driven. I have found this to be fairly accurate. I get 13.5 to 14.5 mpg during the winter season and 15.5 to 17 mpg in the summer. The only real difference is the 20 minutes of warm-up time each day during the winter months. Two hours idle time on 33-34 gallons of fuel makes about 70 miles difference along with the 2 mpg drop.

If your truck has an hour meter, check the miles vs. hours. My truck sees a lot of city/commute miles and my average mph for the 16,000 miles on the truck is about 34 mph. This is a good check for idle time and fuel economy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.