ICP on a 2003 Excursion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question ICP on a 2003 Excursion

i have the sensor and the new pigtail. dealer says that old sensor was superceded by this new one that REQUIRES the new pigtail to work with the new sensor. does that make sense? only if the new sensor has a different shroud around the contacts, maybe???
before i replace either one, i want to be double sure it is not the EGR. i see the exact same symptoms posted by people with EGR problems. so, i unplugged my EGR while the engine was off, and nothing changed, still have the same issues. now, my question is this, knowing nothing is 100%, given my symptoms and the fact that it has a P2285 code (ICP), should i go ahead with the pigtail/sensor swap?

BTW, the pigtail comes as three purple wires with three butt connectors, not insulated, three pieces of heatshrink, loom, and some goo to put in the connector to resist moisture.?.? not a lot for $95!

thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsuvswant2bme View Post
i have the sensor and the new pigtail. dealer says that old sensor was superceded by this new one that REQUIRES the new pigtail to work with the new sensor. does that make sense? only if the new sensor has a different shroud around the contacts, maybe???
before i replace either one, i want to be double sure it is not the EGR. i see the exact same symptoms posted by people with EGR problems. so, i unplugged my EGR while the engine was off, and nothing changed, still have the same issues. now, my question is this, knowing nothing is 100%, given my symptoms and the fact that it has a P2285 code (ICP), should i go ahead with the pigtail/sensor swap?

BTW, the pigtail comes as three purple wires with three butt connectors, not insulated, three pieces of heatshrink, loom, and some goo to put in the connector to resist moisture.?.? not a lot for $95!

thanks a bunch

what are your symptoms?.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

rough, loping, surging idle that will knock off too. i get the surging at light throttle as well, at any speed. i have unplugged the egr and no difference was noticed. it's getting dangerous with the big surge at idle in sitting traffic. if you do not have all of the brake pedal, you can run over an import very easily!
let me know what you think.
thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

one more thing, all three wires on the new pigtail are purple with no instructions. i have to assume that sensor pin to connector pin makes a difference???
Old 05-08-2007, 10:46 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

p2285 yes is a icp circuit code , it could possibly be the sensor or the wire , as far as installing , just look at the original connector and hook the wire up accordingly , that will cause your concern , pcm not getting correct signal from sensor
Old 05-08-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsuvswant2bme View Post
rough, loping, surging idle that will knock off too. i get the surging at light throttle as well, at any speed. i have unplugged the egr and no difference was noticed. it's getting dangerous with the big surge at idle in sitting traffic. if you do not have all of the brake pedal, you can run over an import very easily!
let me know what you think.
thanks
when you remove your icp sensor you will find that is cover in oil. it toock a caca. replace the icp. the wire harness can be re used if is not shave. just make sure to clean the oil from it,if you decide to change it plug the connector in the icp thencut and splice wire by wire in the order of the plug.

dj.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guys.
one more thing, is there a guide to this exercise? to me it looks like the ICP sensor has a wrap of kevlar or the like all the way to the block. i am going by the pics in the 6.0 bible. is there any way to do this without just laying across the driver side of the bay and reaching blindly for the three shield bolts? i think i have to remove the jug, but do i need to remove the ficm from the valve cover?
thanks again
Old 05-08-2007, 12:12 PM

If you are going to do it that way, you need remove the water jug, the ficm and a 10mm stud in the back that is the ground for the injectors. That way you can get your hand in there. You will also need to make a socket to fit and get the icp.

Or, you can get underneath the truck, take the heat shield off and with a wrench remove the icp. Both ways are a pain but it could be done.

DJ
Old 05-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my arms are not long enough to go at it from the bottom. just in case i need it, what antifreeze does this need, orange?
thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 PM

No, gold.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.