6.0 Engine cooling fan issue. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 05:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Engine cooling fan issue.

Hey, has anyone had this problem? The fan on my '04 6.0 comes on when the A/C is on then won't shut off all day until I turn off the A/C and drive about a mile. I understand that it should engage when you are stopped then shut off when you start going. But when you are running freeway speed then slow down to 45 mph and speed back up it shouldn't engage. I've put a switch on the ground wire so I can turn it off altogether, but I shouldn't have to do this. I've already replaced the fan clutch with a brand new Ford clutch. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you know what your temperatures are when the fan comes on?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 AM

I'm wanting to say the last time I scanned it the temp was 212. I need to check exact temp. But, on the stock gauge it is the same temp it has always been. It just started this crap last summer. I'm about to put electric fans on it and be done with it.

Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:51 AM

You should get the exact temperatures because it's possible that the fan is coming on because it needs to. My 03 unloaded runs between 180 and 190 with the A/C on, and I rarely have the fan come on unless I am pulling the trailer up a long hill.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM

My fan comes on unloaded, loaded, idling, doesn't matter. Over the winter when it was in the 20's and 30's here in Houston, if I turned on the defrost or any other heat type where the compressor come on the fan would come on. That is not supposed to happen, it is also not supposed to stay on while your running highway speeds unloaded. I'm just getting tired of sounding like a dump truck driving through my neighborhood and having the fan sap power and fuel mileage. The fan should come on with the A/C on when you stop and shut off when you start moving again. Atleast that's the way it used to work, and the way my dad's '05 works.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:55 PM

I would check and make sure your oil cooler isnt blocked up, check the oil temp and coolant temp difference, it's supposed to be within 12 or 15 degrees tops.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeproc View Post
I would check and make sure your oil cooler isnt blocked up, check the oil temp and coolant temp difference, it's supposed to be within 12 or 15 degrees tops.

I didn't think of that. I'll try that out. I checked it today at the shop, but the scanner said the temp. was 148. Something wasn't jivin'. I'll check the oil and water temps. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 PM

neither of mine jive either my 06 says ect and ait temp 66 when cold and eot 105 after sittin overnight at it is 66 out. my 04 is just the opposite the ect is 104 and the ect and iat are 66 in the morning. the 06 has intermittin power it mild or real strong. and the 04 just runs awesome or terrible just give it a few minutes it will stall or burn rubber
Old 06-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you ever figure out how to fix your fan problem? I have an '06 f250 and I have the same problem, fan comes on anytime the a/c is on and won't shut off until I hit about 45-50 mph. It really pisses me off. Nobody can figure it out, Tallahassee ford told me my truck has a ghost. Any help would be appreciated, I think my fan clutch is wearing out because it is on and off so much under high rpms. It seems to have a hard time disengaging now and squeals sometimes.

Last edited by nabenza; 06-14-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cooling fan running all the time

Did anyone find a solution to this problem? I'm having similar problems - My cooling fan runs all the time - sounds like a dump truck. When i turn the A/C off the fan will go off within a few minutes. Oil and Coolant temps are around 215 to 219 on the highway unloaded (Fan running) I don't think I'm loosing any coolant. Could it be an A/C problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.