Codes, but no check engine light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Codes, but no check engine light

I recently purchases a 2003 F350 w/6.0L w 101k. All in all, truck is in fantastic shape. Everything seems to have been maintained well. I connected my new Edge Evolution programmer last night and up popped the following 6 codes

P0279 - Injector #7 Circuit Low
P0281 - Cylinder #7 Contribution/Balance
P0336 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A circuit range/performance
P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor A circuit range/performance
P0528 - Fan Speed sensor circuit no signal
P2290 - Injector Control Pressure Too Low

My question is "why" wasn't the check engine light on?

Do I have some serious issues or are these par for the course of a truck this age/miles.

One thing to note, when I was hooking up the Evolution, I noticed that the previous owner MAY have had an Edge product because it already had the EGT probe installed into the manifold and there are 4 wires hanging loose from the large wiring harness in the upper right of the engine compartment (red, black, blue and yellow). So it appears that the previous owner/dealer may have removed the component before and cut those wires. Could this have tripped the codes? I have NOT cleared anything...deciding what my next steps should be.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhollins View Post
I noticed that the previous owner MAY have had an Edge product because it already had the EGT probe installed into the manifold and there are 4 wires hanging loose from the large wiring harness in the upper right of the engine compartment (red, black, blue and yellow). So it appears that the previous owner/dealer may have removed the component before and cut those wires.
I have those wires there as well, I have no idea what they are for though.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
I have those wires there as well, I have no idea what they are for though.
I just got off the phone with the dealer's service dept and they confirmed those wires are normal.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I spoke with a master tech and they said the check engine light will only come on if the codes are "hard" codes. Which means they have been recognized for 2 or more drive cycles and not just "pending" codes.

In lieu of this information, I am going to clear the codes, drive it some and see if they comes back and weren't just some old codes from some other issues sometime back like running low on oil, fuel, etc.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, cleared the codes and have been driving it and last night on the way home from work, started running rough, white smoke out of exhaust and threw a few codes again.

This time the codes are:
P0278, P0528 and P2290

A couple of the codes are ones I have seen before, but the 0278 is now regarding Cyl #6.

Anyone have any clues on what could be a potential problem? Am I seeing some premature failure of a couple injectors? Head studs stretched? Etc.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I finally took the truck to the dealer and injector #6 was gone. They replaced it and I'm still waiting for it back.

You know how dealers work, when they get your truck it is apparently falling apart and needs all kinds of things fixed so also getting some brakes, balljoints, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.