Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Smelling coolant through vents

6K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Tmoney511 
#1 ·
about 3 months ago while pulling my trailer i would smell a rubber type smell while get on the gas. Then when not towing and driving normal i wouldn't smell it at all but when i would get on the gas hard i would smell it again. i've come to the conclusion that the smell is my coolant. i unplugged my EGR valve because i thought maybe coolant was being thrown into there due to a bad EGR and usually people sometimes smell emissions through their vents, after unplugging the EGR i never smelt the coolant again. I recently had it reflashed and injectors cleaned at my local ford dealership and i plugged the EGR back in and took the tuner out before they worked on it.. A week later i tried a SCT and it failed at 90% while writing the tune into my truck. and if you guessed it my trucks PCM was blank. would not start. had to get it towed to the local ford dealership(btw i was at my girlfriends house in orlando when the SCT happend) after having it reflashed again and having the TCM FICM, relearning of the VGT strategy done i came to pick the truck up. the mechanic told me that i had a restricted oil cooler and blown headgasket. also it was a gallon low on coolant. since owning the truck i have never replaced the coolant at all. if this is so wouldnt the other ford dealership in my town of told me about this? i have been dealing with them since 2001 when i owned a 7.3? any help would be awesome. oh and the only other issues ive had with this truck is the ICP and one injector stuck. :dunno:

See less See more
#2 ·
u have 140k and never flushed the coolant?:doh: the manual states flush at 100k in reality around 50-75k. im suprised ur oil cooler held out this long ur coolant, radiater and egr,oil coolers are probably clogged with sand casting. better save up the 3 grand to get ur issues resolved. make sure u get new coolers and flush that gunk out. a 120$ bypass filter wouldve saved u the headaches...:dunno:

#3 ·
the ford dealership never recommened me to change the coolant or flush it which i thought was really weird. after owning the truck since 03 i finally got a sheet of paper from ford about 4 months ago that had info of regular maintenance to do on the truck AND changing the coolant was on there.:dunno: wish my ford dealership would of changed the coolant like they should of..:(

#4 ·
yeah dude i never trust those service advisors go by what the manual says and the 'org:icon_ford:

#5 ·
so is it all better now? Thats suprising a dealership not trying to up sale hmm

#6 ·
yeah i never do trust them. i wanted them to clean my egr out when i got my injectors cleaned and they said they don't pull them out and clean them anymore because they found with pulling the egr and putting it back in people were blowing head gaskets?? so instead they had me buy the cetane booster that ford has to put in my fuel and they said that would clean my egr:dunno: that doesnt sound right to me. i dont know maybe im wrong. i just want an egr delete kit:(

#7 ·
oh and CHILLER no i haven't had it worked on yet. i went down to a local shop that deals with high performance diesels and we are putting a price all together for getting ARP studs put in, new oil cooler and probably a egr delete kit. BTW my coolant is at the MIN level. Im getting my system flushed this weekend and will refill to MAX and see what happens.

#8 ·
Smelling coolant in the vents is the egr cooler. But oil cooler, studs and egr delete im very jealous lol, for another 75$ i would do coolant filter too, while everything is open.

#9 ·
Haha. I'm trying to make the life of my diesel last. I do all the regular matinance just trying to add little things or big things to help. I'm jealous of my girlfriends truck. 05 f250 8" superlift 22" motometal rims 37" tires custom tuned SCT ARP head studs recon lights everywhere 4 inch turbo back exhaust.:woot:

#10 ·
Ohhhhh yeah well with all of your new mods you may be faster ;)

#11 ·
:) just need to get it fixed then I'm good to go. I'll keep you updated though as the process goes along.

#12 ·
I would be interested about the price of the oil cooler...I really want one just too darn expensive.

#15 ·
There $300.00 bucks at ford,I think I can get another one or 2 for $285.00
I had about 8 or 10 of them got rid of them all for 175 each,can't get any more at the lower price now.
Tax kills it that 285 is 15 bucks wv state tax included I gotta pay that
JER-1
:icon_ford:
:thumb:

#13 ·
yeah:( i just really want an 8" lift but with this "no warranty" thing im going to be set back on getting my lift..

#14 ·
Yeah I have an 8inch but now I want power...cant make up my mind...oh and a stereo lol

#16 ·
damn 175? thats cheap! but yeah i wish i would of done a lift first on my truck. i did everything else but the lift. when i got my rims and tires i should of got 22" instead of 20" and 37" tires instead of 34.1 and bought a 8" lift. how much did your lift cost?

#19 ·
UPDATE..
flushed my system this weekend. Replaced coolant. No loss of coolant so far. Don't smel and coolant through vents either. Pulling egr this week to clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.