ICP Sensor? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ICP Sensor?

My 04 6.0 sometimes just turns over wont start. I have full oil pressure during cranking, oil is full. No DTC's. New EGR valve. I run an Edge Platinum on 2 for towing only and have an AirRaid cold air intake, 4" exhaust and an AMSOIL by pass oil filter. I also run Cetane boost and conditioner in the fuel.
Sometimes after driving for a while and then letting it set or sometimes first thing in the morning, it will only turn over. Every time this has happened all I have to do is pull the battery terminals, wait about 10 minutes, hook them back up and it starts fine. It runs smooth, and clean with no leaks. I have 75,000 miles on it. I was reading it could be the ICP sensor and that sometimes the sensor will malfunction and you will not get a DTC code. Could this be the problem? I already ordered a new ICP sensor as I found one brand new in the box for 75.00. It hasn't acted up again so I havn't been able to unplug the ICP sensor when it wont start to see if it then starts. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
WFrench
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
where is your icp located? if it is in the back on the high pressure pump, then more than likely it is leaking and the sensor and connector needs to be replaced. if it is on the passenger valve cover, then I would be looking at your STC fitting on your HPOP. they tend to start fine cold, but wont restart after the engine is hot due to oil viscoity and thickness.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ICP

My ICP is on the front passenger side valve cover. mine is an 04 1/2 (later 04) with the 04 motor. I don't have any noticeable leaks and the non starting has occurred as many times first thing in the morning, after setting all night, as it has after driving. And even after driving for long time it will start right up after shut down, but, will not start after setting for an hour or so. Finally, theres the battery disconnect thing. Is it probable there is some kind of reset taking place that allows the motor to restart. It restarts every time after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cables. Could it be the HPOP sensor if not the ICP sensor?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ICP Sensor

So I have timing start ups both cold and hot and found that starter crank time is form 2 to 3 seconds with the ICP sensor connected. Whether cold or hot, if I disconnect the ICP sensor crank to start time is only 1/2 to 1 second consistently. I have not had another no start situation, but does this test indicate the ICP sensor is bad, or is going bad and COULD be the problem causing the occasional no start scenario?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
could be it sounds more like an ficm to me especially since you disconnect the batteries then hook em back up and its good but i would start with the icp since it is far more cheap but if that doesnt fix it i would say ficm and call and talk to the guys at swamps diesel to get it rebuilt its better than factory and its almost a third of the price of getting one from ford just a thought
Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ICP

I'm scheduled Thursday to have the local dealership reflash the PCM/FICM/TCM with the latest mod. It's only $90.00 here to do that so i'm hoping along with the ICP sensor I picked up new on Ebay for $65.00 its a pretty good bang for the buck on trying to solve this problem
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to pudil45
i know on the 7.3's if the sensor is unplugged it will just be a dog but will still run
Old 04-13-2010, 07:35 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if it were cold i would say the reflash would help but seeing as how it is warming up then i dont see it really helping with your issue at had but its still a good investment never the less
Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The dealer had also told me it was my edge platinum causing the problem but i have had it disconnected for some time and never used it over the 2 (Tow) setting. It's now on 0 (Factory) and I just use the gauge pod; however, I did read some threads earlier today that said the edge can screw up the PCM or FICM on its initial startup. So, my hope is by having the PCM/FICM reflashed and not using the edge as a performance enhancment add on (i'm more than pleased with its stock performance, I mean going up a hill at 55 instead of 45 doesn't make the hair stand up on the back of my neck!) that things will be better. My dad used to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Old 04-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

By the way, scparrish, your front bumper, way cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.