Truck died while driving, won't restart - low oil volume. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck died while driving, won't restart - low oil volume.

While driving my 2005 F-350 6.0L, the engine suddenly stopped running. I had only once had problems with surging/recessive rpms, and that was on the prior morning. It was the same as if I had simply turned the truck off. I am now unable to restart the engine. It will crank (turn-over) without apparent stress, and there are no abnormal sounds.

Known problems:
I had previously noticed leaking oil over the last few days (probably due to a loose oil filter cap), but I had not checked it. The oil was changed 2 weeks ago. I put in 5W-40 full synthetic with Lucas full synthetic. I had never had any problems with oil leaks before. After the engine stopped today, I found that the oil was 6 qts. low! I have refilled the oil reservoir.

Other possible problems:
The symptoms seemed to indicate that no fuel was reaching the engine. (I will be replacing the fuel filters tomorrow when they come in.) While checking the secondary fuel filter, I left the cap off from the chamber, turned the ignition to on, and slowly depressed the pedal (the engine was long since cold at this point). Fuel came out of the filter chamber (about 2 ounces with a full depression of the pedal for ~3 seconds). I do not know if more fuel should have came out, but it seems like a reasonable amount. I do not think that the fuel pump/filters are the source of the problem.

I am currently unable to check for OBD codes in this small town, but I will post them as soon as possible.

Is there a low oil sensor that shuts down the engine, and if so, can I reset it now that the oil has been refilled?

What is likely to be wrong? How can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just checked for OBD codes. No codes are being thrown, although I had previously disconnected the battery terminals.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is not the fuel pump. I am leaning now toward the HPOP or the IPR. There is a slim chance that it is just the o-rings around the IPR. I really don't want to pay for a new HPOP.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
you need to check for icp pressure, anything less than 500 psi truck wont start. verify base engine oil pressure as well.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my truck had the same problem sounds like as far as loosing power and the next day not starting. all my fluids were good though it was just simple as cleaning out my EGR valve thankfully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.