QUESTION FOR FORD TECHS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 06:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
QUESTION FOR FORD TECHS

have been having a studdering and bucking problem for 15,000 miles, replaced egr valve, icp sensor, it finally threw a code,took it to dealer, they reported back that 4-5 injectors are bad, now i can understand it, but then i was told the fuel pump was acting up, my question.. can you prove a bad injector when the pump is acting up?? also can a shade tree mechanic tackle replacing all the injectors, thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke Techie

In answer to your question, YES low fuel pressure WILL kill injectors on a 6.0L. If 4 to 5 injectors were bad, I would be questioning the maintenance history of this vehicle, as well as the quality of fuel used. The root cause of this type of failure is usually lack of consistent fuel filter replacements and/or the use of poor quality aftermarket filters (particularly the ones that don't have the water separator element on the primary filter). Lack of regular oil changes will also cause early injector failures in the long term as well. This is why I always recommend oil change intervals on these engines the same as a gas engine.

As far as replacing the fuel pump itself, all that is required is a 13mm wrench (for the three nuts) and the line coupler release tool (for the two lines on the engine side). This should be a relatively simple task. As far as the injectors are concerned, you will need to remove both valve covers (eleven 12mm bolts/studs each side), as well as a thin wall 19mm twelve point socket to push the injector connectors through the rocker arm carriers. You will also need a TX-30 bit and driver to remove all nine high pressure oil rail fasteners and a 10mm allen key to remove the standpipe and dummy rail plugs on each bank. Once removed, you will need a LONG TX-40 on a socket to remove the one fastener that secures each injector. To install, lubricate each injector o-ring with clean engine oil, and torque each injector to 24 ft-lbs. Torque all nine high pressure oil rail fasteners on each bank to 10 ft-lbs. and the dummy rail plugs and standpipe to 60 ft-lbs. Although I haven't replaced one yet, I highly recommend replacing fuel pressure regulator as well, since it has recently been updated to regulate fuel pressure to a higher pressure. Your shopping list below, will consist of all the Ford part numbers for the parts needed:

Fuel Pump (PFB-93)
Injector (CN-5019-RM) x 8
Dummy Rail Plugs (-W302195) x 2
Updated Fuel Pressure Regulator (3C3Z-9T517-AG)
Cetane Booster (PM-22-A)
Anti-Gel/Lubricity Additive (PM-23-A)

After all this is said and done, change your fuel filters REGULARLY with the proper Ford FD-4604 fuel filters, and oil and filter as well with the proper FL-2016 filter and Ford/Motorcraft 10W30 CJ-4 rated engine oil. And most important of all, use GOOD quality fuel along with the Ford PM-22-A and PM-23-A cetane boost and lubricity additives.

Last edited by m-chan68; 04-01-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Techs here are awesome
Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroken04 View Post
Techs here are awesome
no doubt!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 PM

agreed, they are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was using aftermarket fuel filters, and i did not change the oil every 3k miles,,,, my bad, it is going to cost me..where is the best place to get injecters?? anyone on this board??
Old 04-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortbike View Post
agreed, they are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was using aftermarket fuel filters, and i did not change the oil every 3k miles,,,, my bad, it is going to cost me..where is the best place to get injecters?? anyone on this board??
If you are going with stock replacements, get them from the Ford dealership.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:11 AM

My local Ford Dealer said no new injectors were available, only rebuilts. They wanted almost 400 a ppiece for them.I found several on line for about 200. Question is, are all rebuilts the same? I don't think so, but who does it right? And is it worth it to send in your old one to have them rebuilt?I doubt if Ford rebuilds their own,probably farms it out, but to who?Anyone out there with experience on after market rebuilts?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm View Post
My local Ford Dealer said no new injectors were available, only rebuilts. They wanted almost 400 a ppiece for them.I found several on line for about 200. Question is, are all rebuilts the same? I don't think so, but who does it right? And is it worth it to send in your old one to have them rebuilt?I doubt if Ford rebuilds their own,probably farms it out, but to who?Anyone out there with experience on after market rebuilts?
That is true. Anyone that is an aftermarket rebuilder requires a core charge which means that your injectors must be rebuildable or you won't get your core charge back. If you already know that your injectors can't be rebuilt, why go that route since you will end up paying the same amount?

PS. Check out swamps diesel if you are looking for injectors.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
That is true. Anyone that is an aftermarket rebuilder requires a core charge which means that your injectors must be rebuildable or you won't get your core charge back. If you already know that your injectors can't be rebuilt, why go that route since you will end up paying the same amount?

PS. Check out swamps diesel if you are looking for injectors.
How would you know they cant be rebuilt if you dont send them in?Are they matched sets? Better chance of staying matched if you send in your old ones? Or do they flow test them while rebuilding them?Or is it an issue? Maybe I'm trying to be too anal here, lol
Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Slacker

Nope, they aren't matched and aren't flow tested. I'm making an assumption that since your injectors are "bad" that they aren't rebuildable. Maybe not, but until you send them in, you won't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.