Intake upgrade, now "huffing" noise at hwy speeds - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intake upgrade, now "huffing" noise at hwy speeds

Earlier this month I installed the Banks Ram-Air Intake system on my 2005 6.0. Everything went smoothly and no driving problems. That is until I took it on the interstate this week and had issues when driving at 65-70mph with cruise control.

When going up an incline it sounded like the engine was huffing or trying suck more air in short spurts. It would also make this same noise when I would tap the brake pedal at highway speeds to cancel the cruise control. This problem never occurred when driving without cruise control.

On my return trip, I noticed that there were far fewer occurrences of the huffing noise on inclines but still happened at let up after tapping the brake to cancel the cruise control.

Looking for ideas or input from those experiencing the same issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did it sound like a chicken trying to crow with a bag over it's head kinda? i have a noise like that on mine and the tech at the local ford garage told me it may be when the turbo is spooled up making pressure and you let off suddenly the pressure has to go somewhere cuz the intake wont let it through to the cylinders so it burps back through the turbo and rattles the air box..i'm not sure if i'm buying into that yet but kinda made sense to me.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure if it sounded as you described but I took it to a dealer and they changed the EGR valve. I go on another trip tomorrow so I'll be able to see if it was a good fix
Old 04-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well it still has the same issue, though not quite as pronounced. I've had some discussions with some other folks who deal with diesel motors and they advised me to have the turbo and the EGR cooler checked out...so Monday the truck is headed back to the shop.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like just a turbo fart to me. I used to have the banks ram air and it would always do The huff huff huff sound when you would build boost than let off. Has nothing to do with the egr. If you still don't believe me, check your coolant temp and oil temp, if it's more tha ten degrees apart you have a egr problem. Are you still on warranty? Or are you paying you out of your pocket
Old 04-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They replaced the EGR valve under warranty so it didn't cost me a cent. So if it isn't the EGR, what causes the huffing? You said you HAD the Banks intake system. Does that mean you didn't like it?

Last edited by c17mxo; 04-24-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well I got it when I first bought my truck thinking it would help breathe and give me more hp. But that's not the case, the stock unit will flow just fine up to 500 hp so it's pointless and you are not gaining anything with an aftermarket one, so I sold mine and threw my stocknkne back on. I put that money towards a EGR delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.