i think its dead please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i think its dead please help

My 06 f350 DRW has oil in the Degas bottle and the truck wont start doesn't even try to start any ideas guys this is my only vehicle it has to run

Thanks James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

heads still look intact? if so its probably just egr cooler. Still a pricey fix but better than the other option. hopefully a tech or someone with more experience chimes in and gives ya some different things to look at to narrow it down instead of playing child games replacing parts that don't need replacing.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:19 PM

I installed the sinister egr delete about 2 weeks ago my local Ford house says it's the oil cooler and that ill also have to replace the radiator he claims that the egr delete kit is what caused the oil cooler to blow Idk is this possible?
Old 03-26-2010, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Not very likely.

Typically the oil cooler failing is what causes the EGR cooler to fail, not the other way around.

Does the kit have a bypass to return coolant from the oil cooler to the intake?

Oil cooler is fairly commonplace, and depending on how ratty it's made the cooling system, radiator replacement MAY not be necessary.

There is a flushing procedure available from Ford, but depending on how bad it is.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:54 AM

That's what I thought coolant goes through the oil cooler first then the egr cooler I figure the oil cooler was fixing to go and it just happened that it went right after I installed the egr delete kit and yes it has the bypass to return coolant to the intake. Another question will the oil cooler being blown keep the truck from running at all? I believe the heads are fine it doesn't have any water in the oil and nothing coming out of the exhaust. I picked up a new cooler from Ford for $300 have to use my old housing but that should be fine. Anything else I need to know before I try to tackle this?

Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 PM

OK what fun what fun!!!!!!!

so i got the oil cooler kit reused my housing that was easy enough didn't take as long to get the intake off this time. decided while i had it apart i would go ahead and drop another $784.00 and replace the HPOP. this one has been on there for 68,000 miles i know it will fail in a week if i don't. anyway as a note to anyone else who tries this for the first time make sure that your star head socket used to remove the three bolts on the HPOP can't FALL OFF and land on top of your main bearing..... It's a b%$@# to get back out requiring you to lay on top of the engine flashlight in mouth mechanics fingers in both hands and cursing like a sailor the whole time after 6 attempts i did manage to get the bloody thing back out.... I'm 6'5'' 285 lbs its not easy to get inside that engine i would like to kick the engineer who designed this thing in the nuts right now!!!! anyway I'm soaking my intake over night reassembly in the morning. say a prayer for me if she doesn't run she is getting 5 gallons of gas and a match!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 PM

what else could go wrong

new oil cooler, new HPOP, egr delete kit and now i need a damn FICM...... what the crap the truck wouldn't start after all the new installs so i pulled the new codes from the computer injector circuit input low on all 8 injectors i did the pin test in the FICM and it has 48v with key on and drops to 18v while cranking according to the wright up in the tech area this means the FICM is fried i need to know if there is anything else that can cause this to read bad other than batteries being low i charged both while i was installing new parts.. so i know they are good

please let me know if there is anything else i need to check

thanks James
Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 PM

i got a used FICM from salvage yard truck runs but the programing is wrong so nothing is working properly put it is running now $210 just for the dealer to program it i need to get a programmer and suggestions? i don't need to add a bunch of power just one that will flash everything and remove the egr code

thanks james
Old 03-31-2010, 06:11 PM

I blogged about this very thing ! Here is the link ! Just scoll down you will see it !Starting Autos
Old 04-03-2010, 09:35 AM

Unhappy

Well here is an update I fixed the engine its running great however I fear my transmission is toast computer shows three shift solenoids stuck open or closed And tranny temp went well over hot I let her sit and cool off ant nothing forward or reverse just the smell of clutch and tranny fluid burning

What do you guys think is it dead yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.