lost power then died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lost power then died

I was driving along yesterday goin to town and i had the cruise set and all of the truck shifted down like i caught a head wind so i took the cruise off and the hit the throttle and the truck had no power at all. So i started to slow down to turn around to go home and when ilet off the throttle it just died. tried starting the truck and all it does it turn over no fire. the fuel pump is working cause i can here it and theres fuel at the filter on the motor what could be wrong? i took the truck to ford yesterday and there suppose to look at it tommorow morning. I was hoping someone would have an idea of what could be wrong so i can be prepared for what the dealer says. the truck is an 04 with the 6.0L any input is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You just described what happened to me over a week ago. Except for the dealer part. Could be a failed ICP sensor, a failed IPR valve, a failed HPOP or in internal high pressure oil leak (which has a whole seperate list of causes in and of itself) and probably any number of other things. Mine has a high pressure oil leak, which I am addressing on the driveway. Is your truck an early 04 or a late 04? Let me know what the dealer says.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Could be something as simple as an EGR valve, or an ICP sensor, HP oil leak....list is almost endless...
Old 03-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EGR is disconnected after inspection and cleaning (2 months ago). ICP and also the pigtail has been replaced. I have a new IPR for it but am trying to find a way to single this out as the problem before installing it (can't return it after installed). Does the IPR report back to the PCM or FICM as to it's actual position or does it simply take instructions from the PCM as to where it should be? My thoughts are that since my ICP is erratic (both PSI and volts) that it could be a stuck IPR causing the high pressure leak. Keep in mind that the truck will not start, so all testing is being done while cranking the engine. I am using an Autoenginuity scanner with the Ford enhancements. If I unplug the IPR the voltage and PSI on the ICP goes way off spec, so there must be some sort of communication back from the IPR. Also... unplugging the ICP does not help the truck to start, so I know I am losing pressure somewhere.From your experience, where is the most likely place for a HPO leak on a 2003? BTW, I am not getting any air bubbles in the secondary fuel filter housing when cranking the engine with the key off and filter removed. I have 192k on the truck and have performed all maintenance religiously. Original codes pulled after the engine died did not show any misfires or contribution problems. The only code that really showed anything was a P2285 (ICP) I also had EGR(unplugged) and #7 cylinder low circuit (found a chaffed wire at the left valve cover injector harness)

Last edited by embry1123; 03-26-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So far they changed the IPR then told me it was HPOP so im waiting from an upgraded one from dieselsite and im going to put it in myself and im hoping that will fix it this is what ford told me i just got the truck back yesterday
Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck is an early 04 from what i can remember from the serial number, from what ive read and been told th 03 and early 04 6.0L had a poor cast iron HPOP that was more prone to failure then on the 05-07 6.0L
Old 03-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behr View Post
The truck is an early 04 from what i can remember from the serial number, from what ive read and been told th 03 and early 04 6.0L had a poor cast iron HPOP that was more prone to failure then on the 05-07 6.0L
I've not ever heard that before (cast iron HPOP) but I have heard that for whatever reason they are more prone to failure. If your ICP is under the turbo, it's an early 04. If it's on the valve cover, it's a late 04.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what does the ICP look like
Old 03-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's a small sensor with a 3-wire plug. If it's an early 04, it will be under the turbo on the top rear side of the block, right next to the IPR valve. Both of which are a real joy to replace... especially the IPR.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

K thanks ill have to check the truck is at my brothers right now so im not sure when exactly i will be able to look at it, but im sure its the early 04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.