What Should I do??? Warranty or No?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Should I do??? Warranty or No??

Ok there are a few questions that I would love some input on. And sorry for the length I tried to break it up to be easier to read.

I have 2005 6.0L Ford F250 FX4 Lariat 4x4 CC. The truck has 59,900 miles on it. I bought the truck in 07 1ith 19,600 miles on it. I am gonna go to the local ford dealership for an oasis report because I really don't know what was done to the truck before I got it. I just got a letter stating that my 100,000 mile warranty was up and do I want to purchase the Dealer Care extended plan for $2100. Now I am not sure I want to purchase, as in worth my wile, it but wanted to know what you guys think.

Now the facts for as far as I have owned it are:

The truck has never had a tune on it nor has it been raced. I have never done anything to the engine except for normal maintenance (oil change, fuel filter etc..). The motor is completely stock.

I have never had a problem with the truck whatsoever: no oil leaks, no turbo problems, no over heating, no transmission problems, not even any coolant overflow. the Truck has been flawless I am really happy with it. To my knowledge it has never been in the shop for a repair.

I tow quite a bit though at 24 foot enclosed trailer (in sig) & a boat ,that's pretty much the only stress put on the truck.

Reading over the policy it would only cover me for two more years because as I look at it I will not even come close to reaching 200,000 miles in two years when I put on maybe 10,000 miles a year.

Here is the catch though. I am in Colorado until May, when I graduate college, and then I am moving back to California for a job. Now personally I would like to just save my money and then do the bulletproofing of the 6.0L like ARP studs and EGR and what else I then to waste on a warranty for just two years. Also in California I have access to a great shop with plenty of tools, lift, and people with knowledge.

Lastly with moving back to California I am not sure if I can even do an EGR delete due to the new smog rules on diesels heard that they might just fail you on sight of it being tampered with so would that mean that I would just have to have two and switch it back to stock for smog check? So in this case would the warranty be worth it? I just like to do things once the right way and be done with it.

Sorry for the novel, but this is what I am thinking about and I am not sure what would be the best route for me? I would be great to hear from people in California about this too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 12:49 PM

No body ?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you're wanting to make it bulletproof, I wouldn't waste my time with the ext warranty. The EGR cooler is the biggest issue on the 6.0, not the EGR itself, although it can be a problem. Look into the Bulletproof EGR cooler, then with the studs it will be pretty stout . And you will pass emissions inspections, just be sure to keep teh cat if you scrap the stock exhaust. You will ahev to put it back on when inspection time comes around.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i would look into a chrysler maxi care warrenty great thing warrenty is well worth the $$ through them or ford i would get 1
Old 03-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

What is the production date?

If it is 4/10 or later, you're still in warranty.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM

Well I got my Oasis report and the only thing in about 60k miles was a bad oil filter o ring. The build date is 12/27/2004. It was nice to know that nothing has ever been wrong, just pretty much shows what the truck has as equipment every field says no in it . So yeah the warranty wouldn't even last two years.
Well from here I guess I should wait until I get into California and see what happens as far as emissions testing goes. The truck is actually already registered in Truckee California and typically they are light on emissions up there so we shall see. The Ford guy told me that he doesn't see a problem with me adding the extra warranty later when I get to California because the truck doesn't have any problems.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Rockstar Edition Send a message via Yahoo to Rockstar Edition
I honestly would go for a warranty as a just in case. I bought my 2000 in 08 and the dealer put a warranty through KAP on it and they are AWESOME!!! I just had my trans replaced with NO QUESTIONS ASKED, no inspectors, had my truck back in 2 days. I called them told them it went out and they said "take it in and we'll get it taken care of for you". I called them back with the shop name, they approved the work to be done and they took my truck in at 4 pm on wednesday and I got it back at noon on Friday ready to make an 800 mile trip. it's well worth it to me.

Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.