turbo problem need advice??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 11:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry turbo problem need advice???

I had my check engine light come on the other day and i brought my truck in to the dealer they said the code was over/under boost and said they are going to have to remove the turbo and clean and rebuild it. I have been driving it for a couple of days now before i could bring it in to do the repair and going up this hill I was in fact getting a lot of snorting and sputtering from the turbo and the engine light came back on. My question is what creates this problem is it the cold air intake i put on or the turbo back exhaust and does the rebuild usually work? When I first put the air filter and exhaust on and would step on the gas and let off i would get a whooshing sound from the air filter does this have anything to do with my turbo problem now? thank god i still have warranty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Turbo problems

I need help as well. I just installed an EGR cooler upgrade, new oil cooler and a coolant filter. Once I got the truck back together and started I now have the following problems:

1. Whoosing sound from under the hood (sound like a vacuum cleaner)
2. Lots of white smoke
3. No power
4. Turbo blows the hose off no matter how tight I get it
5. DTC codes = 0404, 0046, 0098, 0113, 0403, 0405, 2262, 2284
Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, I found the whoosing sound and it is exhast leaking from the connection to the turbo. Can't seem to get it tight enough even though it looks flush the exhaust is escaping somehow. The codes....well I think that happened while I was working on it I had to turn the ignition on to roll the truck back a few feet so thats probably what threw the codes. The white smoke I beleive is left over from the EGR going bad (I hope). Now to figure out why the tubo is bloowing the hose off......
Old 03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppi View Post
OK, I found the whoosing sound and it is exhast leaking from the connection to the turbo. Can't seem to get it tight enough even though it looks flush the exhaust is escaping somehow. The codes....well I think that happened while I was working on it I had to turn the ignition on to roll the truck back a few feet so thats probably what threw the codes. The white smoke I beleive is left over from the EGR going bad (I hope). Now to figure out why the tubo is bloowing the hose off......

It always helps to loosen up the uppipe connections when you have this issue. the pipes are somewhat flexible but sometimes you need just a little bit more twist in order to get a clean seal at the turbo. it also helps to apply a small amount of lube to the band clamp so it will slide down onto place easier.

CAC pipes can be a challenge at times. clean the hose real good with brake clean, apply a small amount of RTV type sealant around where it slides onto the turbo and torque the clamp.

You're probably right about the white smoke, I've drilled a small hole in the muffler before and got quite a bit of residual coolant out.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:07 PM

The dealer worked on my truck today and i guess they did a rebuild on the turbo they said the veined were sticking and the ordered some parts not sure what they did i will talk to them on Thursday and get all the information of what they did so i can post it here. Anyway I started the truck and it was way quieter and way less smoke it runs great now.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
probably replaced the unison ring or CHRA (center housing rotating assembly) or both.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 PM

Is this common what causes this?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsr View Post
It always helps to loosen up the uppipe connections when you have this issue. the pipes are somewhat flexible but sometimes you need just a little bit more twist in order to get a clean seal at the turbo. it also helps to apply a small amount of lube to the band clamp so it will slide down onto place easier.

CAC pipes can be a challenge at times. clean the hose real good with brake clean, apply a small amount of RTV type sealant around where it slides onto the turbo and torque the clamp.

You're probably right about the white smoke, I've drilled a small hole in the muffler before and got quite a bit of residual coolant out.
Hey, you've got some great ideas here. I did have my up pipes loose as well as the turbo and before I put the clamp on there was only about a 1/16 gap but the clamp did not draw it up. I will try the "twist" to see I can reduce the gap and the lubricant on the clamp may help as well. I picked up a new CAC hose but HOLY COW it was $65. I think I will try your tip and if it works I will take the new one back unopened. Thanks for the response!

AIRDAHL - Glad to see you got your truck back in operation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.