truck turns over but won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 07:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck turns over but won't start

hi I've got an 05 F250 6L with 100K Miles..totally stock...It was running ok..but the battery light began to come on intermitantly....

One morning i started the truck (it was plugged in)...drove into town (10 minutes)....stopped and shut off the truck and when i came back 5 minutes latter...the truck would turn over but would not start

Thinking that the batteries may be the problem I replaced the both of them...the truck will start but I have to give it gas to get it to fire up... and it has to turn over longer than usual

I'm now starting to think its the glow plugs.. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to replace them but I'm not sure this is the actual problem..

Has anyone had this problem before or have any ideas

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
once you get it started and get the engine warmed up, will it start like it should from then on til it cools off?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:37 AM

thanks for the reply

no even after i took it for a ride once it started...it would not start normally....I've even plugged in the block heater overnight and it still will not start easilly...you have to push that gas pedal down ~1/2 way to get it to start....the engine has to turn over quite a bit longer than usual....no check engine light has appeared through any of this...
Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Believe I have same Stating issue, Recently replace all glow plugs Started fine for a week, but was Missing one injector I believe. Coming home the other night
lost engine power restarted in netural once. after that no start! any suggestion?

Last edited by John G; 01-23-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

have you changed the oil and filter recently? Have you changed both fuel filters?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey my problem seems to sound the same. when my truck is warm (say i drive to the store) and i shut it off and let it sit for abit (but its still warm) it use to take along time to start and now it wont start but if will start if i shut it off and then start it again or i have to wait till its cold then it starts fine again. So i fiddled abit with it and talk to some people (im a ticketed heavy duty mechanic) but then i thought i should just take it to the ford shop so i did and they tell me its one of 2 things its either the dummy plugs (which i'm going to replace when i get time. im so busy at work and it works fine for now since i only drive 30mins to work then it sits for 12 + hours then i go home again) or its the high pressure oil pump. ford says the dummy plugs are very common to come loose and or fail but its not warranty but the high pressure pump is and ford wants $800+ to do the dummy plugs so i'm going to do them my self when i get time.

hope this helps you abit
Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
its ****

i had the same problem. took it to the shop and took it apart, turned out to be a oil leak in the hpop, before you go spendin a ton of money and it still not starting check your desired cranking oil pressure mine was at 668psi but since there was a leak i was only getting 106psi. if its not your oil rail orings then its a fitting that is busted usually under the back side of the turbo. thank you 6.oh no!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Angry 2004 6.0 wont start

I have a 2004 f-350 superduty turbo that will crank but wont start, but the funny thing is , that after it sits for a couple of days , it fires right up and will run fine and start normaly for a while. There is no rhyme or reason to when it does it. It doesn't matter if it's cold or hot. I took it to the dealer twice, actually had to have it towed one time and of course it sat for a day and the mechanic started it right up and said he couldn't find anything. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be? I don't understand why it starts fine sometimes but won't other times. It seems to me like it is some kind of fuel problem , because if i use starter fluid it starts up and runs fine. And yes I know you are not supposed to use starter fluid , but when you are stranded, you'll try anything.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM

I had a previous problem of truck running fine then out of no where it would fall on its face. I ended up having a bad fuel regulator in turn killed 4 injectors.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

There are many hard start associated issues - it's important to check for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). You can get the codes read for free at most automotive parts stores. For a (not quite) small investment you can supplement your ability to monitor your truck's operation by the use of an electronic gauge set that reads the data from your OBDII port during vehicle operation. The stock gauges are just not accurate or precise. You certainly expect the fuel gauge to provide a reasonable certainty of how much fuel you have and you expect the speedometer to accurately indicate your velocity. Similarly, you should know the engine oil temperature, engine coolant temperature, transmission fluid temperature...these won't necessarily help hard starting conditions of course...the gauges on the dash for coolant and transmission temperatures don't indicate a precise temperature and their function isn't even linear (I digress though...). An OBDII gauge set can help you identify the DTCs and perhaps provide some readings to facilitate diagnosis in order to avoid the "replacement parts bingo" that can generate a significant dollar value.

Good luck!

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.