Turbo whine?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SOUTH New Jersey (there is a difference)
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Turbo whine?!

If I'm accelerating and than let off the gas there is a "whine" sound. I can't type the sound... but maybe someone would know from hearing this explanation before. Any help would be great! I hope it's not anything big.
Is it a wastegate or maybe where the new downpipe is attached to the rear of the turbo? Just my first thoughts.


-nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TWO50Diesel View Post
If I'm accelerating and than let off the gas there is a "whine" sound. I can't type the sound... but maybe someone would know from hearing this explanation before. Any help would be great! I hope it's not anything big.
Is it a wastegate or maybe where the new downpipe is attached to the rear of the turbo? Just my first thoughts.


-nate
does the sound go untill the motor gets to about 1000 rpm and then stop....like it follows the motor wind down and then stops when the rpms get close to bottoming out??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vernon, Texas
Posts: 3,333
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TWO50Diesel View Post
If I'm accelerating and than let off the gas there is a "whine" sound. I can't type the sound... but maybe someone would know from hearing this explanation before. Any help would be great! I hope it's not anything big.
Is it a wastegate or maybe where the new downpipe is attached to the rear of the turbo? Just my first thoughts.


-nate
I have the same thing buddy. I was going to ask what it was but i felt it was something to do with the VGT system. and it just as you decribe it. When i let off the gas at 70 or so, It makes a whine noies that it hight putched then when you floor it. But then again i have now exhaust system right now. So that might have some thing to do with it. I also noticed it but really faint when i gutted the cat and the muffler went mia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SOUTH New Jersey (there is a difference)
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
does the sound go untill the motor gets to about 1000 rpm and then stop....like it follows the motor wind down and then stops when the rpms get close to bottoming out??
Yes- I believe so. I'd have to think of that when I drive it. Ya know what- it's road test time!


-nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Rob Rob is offline
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 13,239
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
mine does it too, i remember this being brought up a while ago, as far as i know it is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am by no means an expert on this board. So take what I say as my opinion please. My started 'squeeling' a while ago (say 200 miles ago while pulling a light trailer (maybe 4000 poinds)). At first I thought it was the turbo. I have since decided it is the coolant squeezing out of the resevoir cap. I've got an appointment for the following items to be looked at the dealer next Monday:
Oil leak at bell housing (die already in at last change)
Cannot get more than 20 psig boost (low on power)
Coolant leaking from under resevoir cap
oil at bottom of lower intercooler hose

So far only 11,000 miles on the 2006 and I'm starting to get worried about what else can go wrong.

I will let you know what the dealer says next week - they have already lined up a loaner car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-18-2007, 04:27 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SOUTH New Jersey (there is a difference)
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Marc- it does seem to go "away" down around 1000rpm when I let it wind down. Amazingly, as do all vehicles that come near a mechanics ear, it wasn't doing it as frequently last night. It knew you were in the picture marc haha I was just wondering if I was looking at any large scale problems. I hope I'm still not.



-nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-18-2007, 06:24 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOOLE View Post
I am by no means an expert on this board. So take what I say as my opinion please. My started 'squeeling' a while ago (say 200 miles ago while pulling a light trailer (maybe 4000 poinds)). At first I thought it was the turbo. I have since decided it is the coolant squeezing out of the resevoir cap. I've got an appointment for the following items to be looked at the dealer next Monday:
Oil leak at bell housing (die already in at last change)
Cannot get more than 20 psig boost (low on power)
Coolant leaking from under resevoir cap
oil at bottom of lower intercooler hose

So far only 11,000 miles on the 2006 and I'm starting to get worried about what else can go wrong.

I will let you know what the dealer says next week - they have already lined up a loaner car.
ive heard that squeel before...and you are probably right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TWO50Diesel View Post
Marc- it does seem to go "away" down around 1000rpm when I let it wind down. Amazingly, as do all vehicles that come near a mechanics ear, it wasn't doing it as frequently last night. It knew you were in the picture marc haha I was just wondering if I was looking at any large scale problems. I hope I'm still not.

-nate
nate......that turbo whine is normal.....its a combination of the injectors not firing, making everything in the motor more noticable, and the VGT system closing up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SOUTH New Jersey (there is a difference)
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I figured out what I was hearing. It's the pressure in my coolant overflow tank. It's making noise out the cap. So that's over now... well it isn't, but I know what the sound is atleast. haha
Now my new problem- serpentine belt. Easy fix. Oil coming from somewhere leaking onto the passenger side frame rail, bottom of tranny and oil pan, and other misc. places. Hard fix. Taking into the dealer on Monday (hopefully). See what they say. It's 38,500 miles into it's life. It's diesel, i know, but I don't blame it if a few things start happening. And that's 38,500 in less than 2 years.


-nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SOUTH New Jersey (there is a difference)
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOOLE View Post
I am by no means an expert on this board. So take what I say as my opinion please. My started 'squeeling' a while ago (say 200 miles ago while pulling a light trailer (maybe 4000 poinds)). At first I thought it was the turbo. I have since decided it is the coolant squeezing out of the resevoir cap. I've got an appointment for the following items to be looked at the dealer next Monday:
Oil leak at bell housing (die already in at last change)
Cannot get more than 20 psig boost (low on power)
Coolant leaking from under resevoir cap
oil at bottom of lower intercooler hose

So far only 11,000 miles on the 2006 and I'm starting to get worried about what else can go wrong.

I will let you know what the dealer says next week - they have already lined up a loaner car.

Reading your post again. I think you just explained my truck haha Minus the boost problem. I can put this puppy up around 32-35psi with my SCT on it.

-nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors