randomly shutting down - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
randomly shutting down

Alright well my issue still stands im driving along at any speed and randomly it doesnt do anything like someone turned off the diesel pedal and the wait to start light comes on after a couple seconds everything is back to normal but at slow speeds under 10 mph the truck turns off completely but always starts right back up is this the icp sensor possibly or what can it be its getting progressively worse so i really need some help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have you checked out the wire harness yet? that woudl cause an intermittent problem, check back by ficm unit. Also i had an EGR valve bad that once did this. Shut down twice on me and would stummble on acceleration but only once in a while.(still dont know how a bad egr would cause it to shut off but thats what the dealer said it was) Took it in they replaced the EGR and was good to go. Do you have a way to check for codes? Icp could cause this as well but i would think it would go completly out very soon and just not start back up.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:09 PM

I couldnt find anything loose and it has gotten worse causing it to randomly shut off so today i put in a new icp sensor and it was a B@#$% but is like a one hour job so we will see
Old 03-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fix

if is a late build engine icp in the right valve cover. with the truck running press on the wiring harness near the ficm and see if it trys to cut off seen 3 at the dealer doing this and was an sob to find the first time . good luck
Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM

its an early build but im hoping that the icp sensor fixed it but we will see other wise ill check into the ficm and wiring
Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 PM

yeah the icp sensor didnt work so now what thinking about sending the ficm to get repaired opinions?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Cool

Check Ficm voltage first writeup in here somewhere how to. take it out if the voltage is low, print out the directions and pics take it apart and find you a good tv repair man that has good eyes and can solder show him where and what to fix ,put it back together put back in truck should be good to go. all in same day. No need to send it off.
JER-1

Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 PM

i thought about that but was worried about it getting jacked up so i was considering it getting profesionally done
Old 03-04-2010, 07:20 AM

o and the truck is throwing zero codes and the connections to the FICM look good and feel good
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

your not looking just for loose connections but rather wire chaffing. definatly test the ficm as stated above but also try lifting the harness off the engine block down under the ficm and tie it up there is a stud down there that rubs through. also look by the parking brake/brake peddle area there is some rubbing on the wires there as well. If you hunt around you will find a thread that had a link to somewhere that has pictures and locations of the common spots. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.