Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Consistent surging

898 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Austin jones 
#1 ·
my 03 6.0 was having starting issues. So I changed the starter and it fixed the starting issue. But now it has a slight constant surge that doesn't register on the tach but you can hear it (straight piped) and it's in the electrical and you can see it in the headlights going down the road. I have checked batteries and alternator and they check out fine. Any ideas where to go next?

#2 ·
By saying you see it in the headlights, do you mean you see them flicker as the surging occurs? Do you hav a monitor? Does it happen when the truck is cold or all the time? Maybe it's injector stiction.

#3 ·
Just like when the electricity flutters in your house and you've got lights on. Best way I can describe it. The only monitor I've got is an OBD II with an app on my phone and I haven't gotten anything out of the norm. The temp doesn't seem to matter as I can have the pickup warm and they'll still flicker when I pull up and shine the lights on the house. Yet other times it doesn't do it at all. Doesn't seem to be a real rhyme or reason to when it does and when it doesn't surge

#4 ·
How did you check the batteries and alternator? Did you have the batteries load tested? Have you checked the alternator for excess AC ripple voltage? That can do some weird things to your electrical system.

-jokester

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.