Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

6.0 forcing oil and coolant out of turbo

11K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  kaya 
#1 ·
Ive been looking over the forum for a while while rebuilding my motor and i got it back together and running but now i have problems. It started out with oil coming out of the turbo seal so i rebuilt it and it did it again but the second time coolant was in it. Liquid oil and coolant pouring out of the exhaust!!???! What could this be. The pan isnt milky the egr was deleted oil cooler replaced so im at a loss. Anyone have any ideas. Really need help.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
What's up with the green coolant? Is that coolant?

I can't think of a single way that coolant can get out through the exhaust without some residual getting into the the oil. What's the oil level? A cracked head or blown gasket might allow some coolant out the exhaust but it would be more of a haze while running and it should also pressurize the coolant system. Coolant that leaks out once the engine is shut down should cause a hydrolock if it's enough to "pour out the exhaust". Interesting.

#4 ·
Yes its green coolant. I know its a no no but the guy i payed to put cab on put it in. I just recently had this done and havnt had a chance to flush it out especially now that its doing this. I havnt really run it long enough to cycle the thremostat so i cant really tell if its got fuel in it. Is a faulty oil cooler a possibility? I had the heads checked

#6 ·
It was pouring out even while running. Smoked alot but the liquid also came with it. Its making it down the down pipe because its leaking out where the cat connects so its internal somewhere somehow... i have the egr deleted so thats not the problem and theres oil mixed in once it hits the ground

#8 ·
I got nothing. The oil could be coming from the turbo, but in order for coolant to come out of the exhaust, it would have to start in either the intake manifold, heads or cylinders. Unless you really screwed up the build, I just can't figure it.

BTW, Your pic shows a puddle at the front of the truck, not coming out if the exhaust.

#9 ·
#10 ·
WTF!?!

Not often it's a "new" one to me, but this is weird with a deleted truck. Either cracked manifold, or HG weren't installed correctly. Only 2 options for it to get to the exhaust in that amount with a delete.

Lamp? What lamp? I've moved on to tactical rail mount led. I love rail mount led!!

#11 · (Edited)
I dont claim to be an expert or guru
or even know if this is possible but could the delete have screwed up bad enough it is leaking coolant out either into or down the exhaust? or worse cylinders? :dunno:

#12 ·
I think it's time to put the MAP sensor tube back where it's supposed to be and the intake coolant tube back where it's supposed to be.

Other than that... I got nothin'.

#13 ·
All I'm seeing is a pic with a puddle of oil under the FL tire.
Sounds whacky. You sure it's not fuel pouring out the exhaust? Would make more sense if it were

Reactions: toren302
#17 ·
I have nothing to add just sitting here thinking wtf happened. Curious what could cause that much coolant come out of the exhaust.

I would pull the glow plugs and let whatever fluid is in the cylinders out.

#18 ·
Only other thought I have is a seal missing in the oil cooler job. If oil and coolant are both leaking out the same place they ARE mixing. Since the turbo feed is directly off the oil cooler I am guessing that's where the problem is. It would also explain why its NOT hard to start like its hydro-ing. Its pushing past the turbo seal directly into the exhaust.

#23 ·
But, did anyone taste it?
....in out of curiosity. I also think it would have to be something in the oil cooler/filter base plate area.
Yes lol my friend did lol i was sure it was coolant he didnt believe me. I also think it has to be cooler going directly up turbo feed line. Does anybody know a way to test the cooler

#22 ·
....in out of curiosity. I also think it would have to be something in the oil cooler/filter base plate area.

Reactions: john galt
#24 ·
Easy way to figure this out pull all glow plugs not injectors put a pressure tester on degass bottle and wait for some action i had 2 like this sorry i have not been on but a nasty divorce will do that!!

#27 ·
Thing that's kinda baffling here is that a) it's not hydrolocking, b) oil and coolant are not mixed in the sump. One or the other, sure. But the combination? Very odd. Something missing from this equation

Reactions: JUGERNAUT
#28 ·
I can't see anywhere in this thread how exactly the EGR was deleted. Delete kit? IPR Gen II? Welded EGR cooler? All I see is "It's been deleted and that's not the problem."

If it's a welded cooler, all bets are off. ...and I don't care if Thor himself welded it.

So... what type of EGR delete is it? Gotta rule it out.

#31 ·
Ive been looking over the forum for a while while rebuilding my motor and i got it back together and running but now i have problems. It started out with oil coming out of the turbo seal so i rebuilt it and it did it again but the second time coolant was in it. Liquid oil and coolant pouring out of the exhaust!!???! What could this be. The pan isnt milky the egr was deleted oil cooler replaced so im at a loss. Anyone have any ideas. Really need help.
Easy way to figure this out pull all glow plugs not injectors put a pressure tester on degass bottle and wait for some action i had 2 like this sorry i have not been on but a nasty divorce will do that!!
Ya a devorce will do that lol my parents just went through one. So when i pull injectors i just use my pressure tester and see if it goes down. Whats that gonna tell me?

#34 ·
Ya a devorce will do that lol my parents just went through one. So when i pull injectors i just use my pressure tester and see if it goes down. Whats that gonna tell me?

@JUGERNAUT said to pull all glow plugs not injectors.

Delete kit from sinister. I got their whole bulletproof kit and i believe the cooler was an oem one il look/contact sinister if i cant figure it out based on my info
Hmmmmmm.... the S word....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.