Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HPOP replacement

15K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  cdana44 
#1 ·
I found a cheap 6.0 for sale. Owner claims that it's studded, deleted, but says that the hpop when out. He says he has the replacement pump but when these things go out are there more things that it'll take out with it?

#2 ·
what year and what kind of hpop does he have to go with it?
I had to replace mine twice now ...don't cheap out go terminator or adrenaline if you are looking at an 03 or 04

06 to 07 the pump is hardier but the stc connection needs to be updated it is possible he did not replace that and you could sell the hpop to recoup a small amount of you purchase price if it is an early series pump and the one coming out is rebuildable OR if it is a late series pump and the stc is leaking.

it is also very possible the guy is lying out his arse so...
you can check if it is studded by checking the bottom of the valve cover and seeing if the heads are held on with bolts or with a twelve point stud and a nut if he is full of crap about the studs he either doesn't know what is up with the hpop or is too crooked to be trusted regardless...

what is the price you are looking at?

#3 ·
as far as I know nothing else takes a beating from a faild hpop.
mine has gone out twice because when i first got my truck i did not know you couldnt get an hpop at orealies and expect it to work.
I have used aftermarket parts for decades with good results...until i got into the superduty :look:
OEM or proper aftermarket is key to success with a superdookie :nod:

Reactions: JesseKK
#5 ·
06 HPOP rarely fail. It probably does have a high pressure oil leak, but those are rarely caused by the HPOP.

I recommend you ask him how he determined that, and if it is simply because the HPO Pressure is low, than there's more to it than that. It'd need to be air tested to be sure.

I'm giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, I don't think he' lying, I just don't think he knows better.

I'd also caution you that many of these trucks need new heads once they're bought. It's an amazing coincidence that when these trucks are sold, soon after it's found the heads are bad.

Unless this deal is at least $7k under market rate, I'd be very careful in buying that truck. Also, with the $7k under market rate, that includes spending most of that redoing the heads and HPOP. After you fix these things and get it bulletproofed to your satisfaction, you'll have a good truck.

#6 ·
The motor, at 75k miles, is worth pretty close to $3500, IMO, even if the rest of the truck is junk. Could just be the the STC fitting.

Reactions: john galt
#9 ·
it isnt too bad but you have to pull the turbo and egr cooler and get down o the top of the motor but as was said i would bet money it is NOT the hpop itself which was the point of my original post.
it would be good to find out who his mechanic is also.\there are LOTS and LOTS fo people who work on the 6.0 and really know next to nothing about them.
count on replacing the stand pipes and dummy plugs and stc fitting but find a compitent mechanic in your area to do a leak down test before you dig in.
i got my truck with a blown hpop not running and the interior gutted for 3k so...
and i am VERY happy with my truck BUT it is an early 04 and the stock hpop is prone to failures.
the 06 is prone to stc stand pipes and dummy plugs but the redesigned hpop is very solid.
could there be more wrong with it than just an oil leak...oh hell yes but if you are prepared to read up on your years weak points and use the known fixes for ten to twelve k you could have one of the most enjoyabe trucks ever made good to go for 500 k with regular maintenance.
compare that to a newer truck which in my opinion is fuglly by comparison ...
there is a thread here on member approved sites.
find it find a good shop in your area use aaa to tow it in and have it checked out properly.
that is my advice at least and pretty much how i got my truck I just had things come up that took away my truck fuind before i finished my build but i LOVE my truck and it has been a joy to own :nod:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.