LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to my business...soon.

Hey Guys,
I have a small business and getting my first service truck sometime this week. It's a 2004 F-350 PSD 6.0. It's an extended cab with a 12' tool box bed. I have and am familiar with the 7.3 but I know this 6.0 is a different character.

The guy I'm buying it from is a local and a repeat customer. This is what he has to say about the truck. Been very reliable, starts and runs great (even in the cold), around 200k miles on it. He parked it at the end of last season due to an oil leak coming from the rear of the motor. He thinks it may be the rear main seal, but never really investigated. He says the leak is pretty substantial.

Did some research and found several thing that it could be. But just curious, what have you guys run across most frequently with an oil leak on the back side of the motor? My first thought was the turbo pedestal O-ring but that is the 7.3 thinking in me since that has happened to me once.

Any input would be great. Haven't seen the truck yet except in pictures but the price is right even is I have to put some money into it.

Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0166.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	608721  

2000 F250 PSD 4x2 SWLB
Bone stock until:
PHP 6 position switch
Gauges (pyro & Boost)
Muffler delete pipe
6637 intake
Nothing more planned except pulling my toys.

95% of Harleys are still on the road...
The other 5% made it home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 06:04 AM

Thanked 1,032 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
do You need a diesel for your business ?
if not i would pass

and if the owner thinks it is a rear main seal why second guess him specially sight unseen ?
he is probably correct and that's not a fun repair so plan on that and probably more since it sat

Please donate to DTR Ron's Memorial

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We Miss you Ronnie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
do You need a diesel for your business ?
if not i would pass

and if the owner thinks it is a rear main seal why second guess him specially sight unseen ?
he is probably correct and that's not a fun repair so plan on that and probably more since it sat
I do service calls to broken down vehicles and trailer service. I also offer towing services with a 12K capacity trailer which would be hooked to the back of the truck pretty much permanently.

Second guess the owner because his extent of looking where the oil leak is coming from is looking under the truck, at the ground and noticing the general area it is coming from. Highly doubt the hood was even opened to investigate. He has a fleet of service trucks and fixes them as he needs to. He didn't need to fix this one when he parked it over the winter. And parking equipment over the winter in my area is a very common thing. It's a tourist area.

But, I'm sorry to put it this way, but I really didn't ask if someone thinks I should get the truck (diesel) or not. I also didn't feel I needed to share everything that the truck will be used for. Just want to know what are the common oil leaks on these 6.0's.

2000 F250 PSD 4x2 SWLB
Bone stock until:
PHP 6 position switch
Gauges (pyro & Boost)
Muffler delete pipe
6637 intake

post #4 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
But, I'm sorry to put it this way,
you may be "sorry" but your also being rude

You get what you get on an open forum so deal with it

I make those comments to help and to clarify

I have no clue what your needs are
and plenty of folks get star struck by a cheap 6.0
but there is no such animal

rear main seal leaks are common as are bed plates

We Miss you Ronnie

Last edited by ZMANN; 03-18-2017 at 07:26 AM.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 07:42 AM
RIP Cam!

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
OP... you ask for input, but get defensive and rude when given some???

That makes sense...
zsargent likes this.

2004 F250 CC Lariat 4x4

BPD FICM, BPD billet water pump, BPD VK688 oil cooler kit, S&B CAI, MTW stage 2, TSD tunes, Auto Meter gauges, Edge CTS, Sinister coolant filter, Blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, Straight piped w/ 6" single mitre stack, Pro Comp leveling kit, 05-07 HD headlights, Xenon-Vision 5k HIDs, Fumoto block drain valves, ELC, High idle mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake18 For This Useful Post:
ZMANN (03-18-2017)
post #6 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Why is it that that I ask a simple question and suddenly get critiqued as to whether I need this truck or not and why I would question the owner when the situation of the truck is not entirely explained. No explanations were needed for the simple question "What are the common oil leaks on these 6.0's?"

How is the original reply supposed to "Clarify" my question? Oil leaks are a pretty simple question. I'm far from being star struck about a 6.0 or even a Ford in general.

I experience too many times that people feel they need to express their feeling and ignore the original message. It is also rude to express your opinion and not answer the question. This has been a reoccurring issue on all forums. Ask for a little advanced notice help and get told something completely different that has no bearing on the question.

Someone asks a question, just answer the question. Don't try to decide whether I need a diesel or not and don't assume anything else that hasn't been said. That's all I'm saying.

2000 F250 PSD 4x2 SWLB
Bone stock until:
PHP 6 position switch
Gauges (pyro & Boost)
Muffler delete pipe
6637 intake

post #7 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I also didn't feel I needed to share everything that the truck will be used for.
for god sake your original post is a mile long with all kinds of unrelated to oil leak info
it left the door wide open for some questions

and when i asked a few you made a great reply and at the end of the reply you thru out a big unnecessary FU

i will do you a favor to save Face on your end
I will delete this whole thread on your request

and you can start a new one. maybe titled "common oil leak areas on a 6.0"

and don't give any other unrelated info like new to my business ETC

or just Google this it's pretty common topic and you won't have to deal with any "undesirable" help

We Miss you Ronnie

post #8 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 09:06 AM
U.S. Army 68 - 71

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Seems your mind is made up to buy it. When you get it home clean the engine with a degreaser, add some dye to the oil, use a UV lamp to track the leaks. Hope it isn't a rear seal. Remember General Custer was warned about going to the Little Big Horn too.

The Good Old Days

1999 F 350 work trucks 7.3
5 speed 2 wd dually
post #9 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 01:51 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
"fixes when he needs it"

that right there is a run away from deal clue. that just screams poorly maintained.

God bless America, the Constitution and the Second Amendment.

2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

Last edited by powerstrokeshellback; 03-18-2017 at 01:55 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Do what you want with the thread Zmann.

There's a reason why I quit coming to the forum over a year ago and now I remember why. Just thought I would give it another try but again, got responses to questions that weren't even asked.

These forums are just as bad a social media anymore.

I do give a sincere thank you to the ones that actually said something that pertained to the question. Out of 9 posts, there was only 1 and it was at the end. I do know how the change out rear seals. Have done many.

I thought my original question was pretty simple. hmmm

2000 F250 PSD 4x2 SWLB
Bone stock until:
PHP 6 position switch
Gauges (pyro & Boost)
Muffler delete pipe
6637 intake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode