Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cold Starting Issues...HELP!

954 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Camshaft350 
#1 ·
Good Morning Gentlemen,
I'm a new member to this forum, but i have been using it for years to search different topics with my trucks. This is my 3rd 6.0 so i am fairly savvy with them but this one has me stumped. I have tried searching every post i can about my issue but have yet to find something that gives me any insight, so hopefully I can get some info from some of you fine members....

My issue:

I live in Buffalo, NY and i just went down to Texas to bring up a truck. My 2005 F250 is having a seriously tough time cold starting. I have to recycle and crank it several minutes before it will fire up (it has yet to leave me stranded though I feel like it eventually will). However, once it does finally fire up it runs smooth and even with no problems. When it is plugged in to the block heater however, it fires up and runs like a top. I run an edge inisight have 7 of 8 soft codes for "Glow Plug Circuit" (P0672,P0674,P0675,P0676,P0677,P0678) No CEL have been thrown. All of these codes happened at the same time because i checked it when i bought it and several times while bringing it back and had no codes. The first time I started to have an issue it was around 40 degrees and its been getting colder by the day here. First thing i did was check my FICM voltage. Never saw any lower than 47.5 even when i spent 30 seconds at a time cranking it on a cold start. Also, like i said once its running, its not rough...so this kind of ruled out FICM to me at least. Next I figured with 7 GP codes going at once i figured it could be the Glow Plug Control Module, so i ordered one of those used to put in just to diagnose. Same results instantly. GP codes showed back up and rough time cranking over when cold. The GP harnesses dont look too bad, however to have cylinder from BOTH banks show up yet cylinder 3 never threw a code seems suspect to me. Lastly, my next potential step is looking in to my batteries. I noticed that this truck has brand new batteries but they are 750 CA and ONLY 600 CCA. Now i know stock these trucks call for a 750 CCA battery at minimum so this is why im skeptical of this. I dont believe the batteries are bad, but i was wondering if a low CCA could affect my starting abilities in cold start and possible throw GP codes for not getting enough power upon starting? I checked my battery voltage when cranking on my edge insight. When sitting cold i was at 11.8v, during a cold start crank i was down around 10.2-10.5 and even saw as low as 9.3 when it was trying. Once and if it does fire up though, it get back up to 12s and eventually 13s. My question is, could i be on to something with my low cranking amps not giving me enough power to fire up easily when cold and possibly even throw some codes??? any help on this issue would be very helpful. My next step is to go buy some higher CCA batteries but i hate to waste the money if its's a dead end....thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you think the problem is the batteries get another vehicle and jumper cables, I would also raise the RPMs on the running vehicle.

#3 ·
Well I replaced the batteries with higher cranking amp tonight. Still does the same thing ...so rule that out I guess

#5 ·
mines doing the same thing, only difference is i have all new glow plugs and harness, and it will not start below 32 F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.